Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Embedding objects in styledtext - Snippet 212 questions
Embedding objects in styledtext - Snippet 212 questions [message #467452] Tue, 31 January 2006 16:33 Go to next message
ying is currently offline yingFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi -

I am looking at building a composite widget that contains a mixture of
text (that wrappes), intermix with some CCombo, and it seems that
snippet 212 would be the best code segments to look at for this
functionality... (I tried snippet 205, but TextLayout takes a display
to create - and that can't work with what I want to do..)

Some questions:
1. When replacing the image w/ widgets such as CCombo or button,
these requires a parent container.. should the StyledText created be the
parent container for the widgets? or ?

2. I tried to replace the images with a button (created via
FormToolkit) but I got stuck at the
styledText.addPaintObjectListener(...), where I need to find an
equivalent of gc.drawImage(Image, x, y) for button... Is it at all
possible ?? What would be equivalent for a CCombo ?

3. Can this work with FormToolkit created widgets ? (ie
toolkit.createButton(...) would work ? ) or do they have to be base SWT
widgets ? or ?

Thanks

Ying
Re: Embedding objects in styledtext - Snippet 212 questions [message #467774 is a reply to message #467452] Mon, 06 February 2006 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Veronika Irvine is currently offline Veronika IrvineFriend
Messages: 1272
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
> 1. When replacing the image w/ widgets such as CCombo or button,
> these requires a parent container.. should the StyledText created be the
> parent container for the widgets? or ?

Create as a child of StyledText

> 2. I tried to replace the images with a button (created via
> FormToolkit) but I got stuck at the
> styledText.addPaintObjectListener(...), where I need to find an equivalent
> of gc.drawImage(Image, x, y) for button... Is it at all possible ?? What
> would be equivalent for a CCombo ?

See example below. You do not paint the widget but rather position it.

> 3. Can this work with FormToolkit created widgets ? (ie
> toolkit.createButton(...) would work ? ) or do they have to be base SWT
> widgets ? or ?

You should be able to use FormToolkit.createButton() etc.

Modified Snippet212 for controls:

public class Snippet212Modified {

static StyledText styledText;
static String text =
"This snippet shows how to embed widgets in a
StyledText.\n"+
"Here is one: \uFFFC, and here is another: \uFFFC.";
static int[] offsets;
static Control[] controls;
static int MARGIN = 5;

static void addControl(Control control, int offset) {
StyleRange style = new StyleRange ();
style.start = offset;
style.length = 1;
control.pack();
Rectangle rect = control.getBounds();
int ascent = 2*rect.height/3;
int descent = rect.height - ascent;
style.metrics = new GlyphMetrics(ascent + MARGIN, descent +
MARGIN, rect.width + 2*MARGIN);
styledText.setStyleRange(style);
}

public static void main(String [] args) {
final Display display = new Display();
final Shell shell = new Shell(display);
shell.setLayout(new GridLayout());
styledText = new StyledText(shell, SWT.WRAP | SWT.BORDER);
styledText.setLayoutData(new GridData(SWT.FILL, SWT.FILL,
true, true));
styledText.setText(text);
controls = new Control[2];
Button button = new Button(styledText, SWT.PUSH);
button.setText("Button 1");
controls[0] = button;
Combo combo = new Combo(styledText, SWT.NONE);
combo.add("item 1");
combo.add("another item");
controls[1] = combo;
offsets = new int[controls.length];
int lastOffset = 0;
for (int i = 0; i < controls.length; i++) {
int offset = text.indexOf("\uFFFC", lastOffset);
offsets[i] = offset;
addControl(controls[i], offsets[i]);
lastOffset = offset + 1;
}

// use a verify listener to keep the offsets up to date
styledText.addVerifyListener(new VerifyListener() {
public void verifyText(VerifyEvent e) {
int start = e.start;
int replaceCharCount = e.end - e.start;
int newCharCount = e.text.length();
for (int i = 0; i < offsets.length; i++) {
int offset = offsets[i];
if (start <= offset && offset <
start + replaceCharCount) {
// this widget is being
deleted from the text
if (controls[i] != null &&
!controls[i].isDisposed()) {
controls[i].dispose();
controls[i] = null;
}
offset = -1;
}
if (offset != -1 && offset >= start)
offset += newCharCount - replaceCharCount;
offsets[i] = offset;
}
}
});

// reposition widgets on paint event
styledText.addPaintObjectListener(new PaintObjectListener()
{
public void paintObject(PaintObjectEvent event) {
StyleRange style = event.style;
int start = style.start;
for (int i = 0; i < offsets.length; i++) {
int offset = offsets[i];
if (start == offset) {
Point point =
styledText.getLocationAtOffset(offset);
controls[i].setLocation(point.x
+ MARGIN, point.y + MARGIN);
break;
}
}
}
});

shell.setSize(400, 400);
shell.open();
while (!shell.isDisposed()) {
if (!display.readAndDispatch())
display.sleep();
}
display.dispose();
}
}
Re: Embedding objects in styledtext - Snippet 212 questions [message #467794 is a reply to message #467774] Mon, 06 February 2006 19:45 Go to previous message
Veronika Irvine is currently offline Veronika IrvineFriend
Messages: 1272
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
There was a minor mistake in the code below.

I have added the following snippet to the SWT snippets page:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/org. eclipse.swt.snippets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet217 .java

"Veronika Irvine" <veronika_irvine@oti.com> wrote in message
news:ds7tpo$l7h$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>> 1. When replacing the image w/ widgets such as CCombo or button,
>> these requires a parent container.. should the StyledText created be the
>> parent container for the widgets? or ?
>
> Create as a child of StyledText
>
>> 2. I tried to replace the images with a button (created via
>> FormToolkit) but I got stuck at the
>> styledText.addPaintObjectListener(...), where I need to find an
>> equivalent of gc.drawImage(Image, x, y) for button... Is it at all
>> possible ?? What would be equivalent for a CCombo ?
>
> See example below. You do not paint the widget but rather position it.
>
>> 3. Can this work with FormToolkit created widgets ? (ie
>> toolkit.createButton(...) would work ? ) or do they have to be base SWT
>> widgets ? or ?
>
> You should be able to use FormToolkit.createButton() etc.
>
> Modified Snippet212 for controls:
>
> public class Snippet212Modified {
>
> static StyledText styledText;
> static String text =
> "This snippet shows how to embed widgets in a
> StyledText.\n"+
> "Here is one: \uFFFC, and here is another: \uFFFC.";
> static int[] offsets;
> static Control[] controls;
> static int MARGIN = 5;
>
> static void addControl(Control control, int offset) {
> StyleRange style = new StyleRange ();
> style.start = offset;
> style.length = 1;
> control.pack();
> Rectangle rect = control.getBounds();
> int ascent = 2*rect.height/3;
> int descent = rect.height - ascent;
> style.metrics = new GlyphMetrics(ascent + MARGIN, descent +
> MARGIN, rect.width + 2*MARGIN);
> styledText.setStyleRange(style);
> }
>
> public static void main(String [] args) {
> final Display display = new Display();
> final Shell shell = new Shell(display);
> shell.setLayout(new GridLayout());
> styledText = new StyledText(shell, SWT.WRAP | SWT.BORDER);
> styledText.setLayoutData(new GridData(SWT.FILL, SWT.FILL,
> true, true));
> styledText.setText(text);
> controls = new Control[2];
> Button button = new Button(styledText, SWT.PUSH);
> button.setText("Button 1");
> controls[0] = button;
> Combo combo = new Combo(styledText, SWT.NONE);
> combo.add("item 1");
> combo.add("another item");
> controls[1] = combo;
> offsets = new int[controls.length];
> int lastOffset = 0;
> for (int i = 0; i < controls.length; i++) {
> int offset = text.indexOf("\uFFFC", lastOffset);
> offsets[i] = offset;
> addControl(controls[i], offsets[i]);
> lastOffset = offset + 1;
> }
>
> // use a verify listener to keep the offsets up to date
> styledText.addVerifyListener(new VerifyListener() {
> public void verifyText(VerifyEvent e) {
> int start = e.start;
> int replaceCharCount = e.end - e.start;
> int newCharCount = e.text.length();
> for (int i = 0; i < offsets.length; i++) {
> int offset = offsets[i];
> if (start <= offset && offset <
> start + replaceCharCount) {
> // this widget is being
> deleted from the text
> if (controls[i] != null &&
> !controls[i].isDisposed()) {
>
> controls[i].dispose();
> controls[i] = null;
> }
> offset = -1;
> }
> if (offset != -1 && offset >=
> start) offset += newCharCount - replaceCharCount;
> offsets[i] = offset;
> }
> }
> });
>
> // reposition widgets on paint event
> styledText.addPaintObjectListener(new PaintObjectListener()
> {
> public void paintObject(PaintObjectEvent event) {
> StyleRange style = event.style;
> int start = style.start;
> for (int i = 0; i < offsets.length; i++) {
> int offset = offsets[i];
> if (start == offset) {
> Point point =
> styledText.getLocationAtOffset(offset);
>
> controls[i].setLocation(point.x + MARGIN, point.y + MARGIN);
> break;
> }
> }
> }
> });
>
> shell.setSize(400, 400);
> shell.open();
> while (!shell.isDisposed()) {
> if (!display.readAndDispatch())
> display.sleep();
> }
> display.dispose();
> }
> }
>
Previous Topic:Several Images in one table cell
Next Topic:One Table Hides Another when Window Re-Sizes
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Aug 17 20:33:06 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02125 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top