Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » access other plugins (without dependeny)
access other plugins (without dependeny) [message #466573] Sat, 21 April 2007 09:56 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: aliban.gmx.net

Hello,
in my eclipse RCP how can i access the API/packages of another plugin
that is not a dependency of myPlugin?

I am asking this because... I am writing a scripting engine plugin. The
script writer should have the possibility to access packages/instances
of other plugins. The scripting engine plugin development does not have
a list of all possible "other" plugins that might be from a third party.

Any idea?
Re: access other plugins (without dependeny) [message #466575 is a reply to message #466573] Sat, 21 April 2007 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Blewitt is currently offline Alex BlewittFriend
You might like to try looking at the test suite, which does similar things.

You could also use OSGi tricks like Dynamic-ImportPackage: * which would then automatically bind you to an exported package on the system that you access via getClass. But this is only going to work when you just rely on the exported packages, and may be brittle in the face of updates or problems where multiple packages are exported by the same class.

Alex.
Re: access other plugins (without dependeny) [message #466577 is a reply to message #466575] Sat, 21 April 2007 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: aliban.gmx.net

Thank you very much for the hints,

As I am quite new to eclipse RCP,
could you specify your suggestions a little bit:
What test suite do you mean?

And the Dynamic-ImportPackage suggestion sounds cool, too. How can I do
this? Where do I find the getClass() function?

Alex Blewitt schrieb:
> You might like to try looking at the test suite, which does similar things.
>
> You could also use OSGi tricks like Dynamic-ImportPackage: * which would then automatically bind you to an exported package on the system that you access via getClass. But this is only going to work when you just rely on the exported packages, and may be brittle in the face of updates or problems where multiple packages are exported by the same class.
>
> Alex.
Re: access other plugins (without dependeny) [message #466586 is a reply to message #466577] Sat, 21 April 2007 21:02 Go to previous message
Alex Blewitt is currently offline Alex BlewittFriend
If you don't know about those, you probably aren't going to succeed in writing a scripting function that integrates with Eclipse.

Check out Neil's tutorial on this site about the 'osgi getting started' series if you want to learn a bit more about the bundles. You can also look at the test scripts and documentation at eclipse.org/articles; there's one on automated testing of Eclipse plugins there. It's located in the org.eclipse.test package IIRC.

Alex.
Previous Topic:IFile
Next Topic:How to properly register context submenu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:46:39 GMT 2024