Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » How do you export a standalone SWT executable?
How do you export a standalone SWT executable? [message #462613] Sat, 15 October 2005 00:40 Go to next message
Jonathan Edwards is currently offline Jonathan EdwardsFriend
I can't believe that I have to post this question. I haven't built a
standalone SWT jar for a while, and I know the scheme for handling dlls
has changed in 3.1. I can't find any recipe for doing this in the
Eclipse help files or the SWT FAQ. How can this be missing from the FAQ?
Re: How do you export a standalone SWT executable? [message #462616 is a reply to message #462613] Sat, 15 October 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Spiewak is currently offline Daniel SpiewakFriend
Really the only thing that's changed about the native library handling in 3.1 is that now SWT has everything bundled in a single jar file in the eclipse/plugins directory (i.e. org.eclipse.swt.gtk_3.1.0.jar). The internal structure of the JAR is identical to the structure of the old org.eclipse.swt.gtk_3.0.0 directory (or whatever ws you care to insert). You'll obviously have to extract the native libs from the jar before you can rebundle them in whatever manner you choose.

Oh, as for standalone SWT applications, there are a few techniques for doing it, none of them pretty. The most 'Java' solution is to bundle the native libs with the JAR and then extract them on startup. Unfortunately, you then have to spawn a new VM manually with the java.library.path set properly. (there is a class library to do this for you at http://www.moioli.net/art29.html) On mac, it's possible to export an SWT project (or rather, runtime configuration) to a native application from within Eclipse. But only a macintosh native app. I use Install4J when I can, but like all installers with any features, it can get expensive. Still, it's worth it. Your final option is to use gcj to natively compile your application, statically linking both the jars and the binaries. There are quite a few tutorials on how to do this for each platform, especially with SWT. Unfortunately, gcj is less than perfect and if you're trying to do anything less than straight-forward in your app, you'll probably have trouble. So, all in all, your options are pretty poor.

Oh, there's always Excelsior (named after the starship I'm sure) as far as a native compiler. That works pretty well. But for the moment, it's Windows only, and so is the result.
Re: How do you export a standalone SWT executable? [message #462634 is a reply to message #462613] Sat, 15 October 2005 11:14 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I don't notice anything changed.
just copy the "swt.jar" file into "lib/ext" directory and three "dll" files
into the "bin" directory of your java runtime.
That's all you need to do!

"Jonathan Edwards" <edwards@csail.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:dipj5g$plp$1@news.eclipse.org...
>I can't believe that I have to post this question. I haven't built a
>standalone SWT jar for a while, and I know the scheme for handling dlls has
>changed in 3.1. I can't find any recipe for doing this in the Eclipse help
>files or the SWT FAQ. How can this be missing from the FAQ?
Previous Topic:Tutorial to SWT Printing
Next Topic:How to send/emulate a key to a shell?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:29:13 GMT 2024