Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Extension Point Question
Extension Point Question [message #461572] Fri, 12 January 2007 16:07 Go to next message
Nathan is currently offline NathanFriend
In my RCP app I have two main plugins, a UI plugin and a 'core' plugin. The core plugin provides some extension points used to notify the UI plugin about certain changes and events. This works fine, the UI updates correctly and does everything I want. I also want to be able to run just the core plugin, ie no gui. To do this I have a command line option, that when specified caused the Display not to be created and skips right into starting up my plugin. When my plugin gets to the part where it accesses the Extension registry,gets the extension, and returns the elements, it still finds my class in the UI plugin that is making use of the extension point, even though the plugin has not been loaded. Why is that? My initial thoughts were that if the UI plugin was not running the core plugin would go through its extensions, find out no current plugin is making use of its extension point and then go on. What currently happens is that plugin finds out that something is making use of its extension point and acts on it. This causes my UI plugin to then be loaded by the framework, which is unneccesary in this case.
Re: Extension Point Question [message #461597 is a reply to message #461572] Sat, 13 January 2007 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

An extension point gets access to all extensions before plugin are
loaded (that's the way it's designed).

So as long as your UI plugin is in the RCP app, your core plugin will
see any extensions the UI plugin contributes to core extension points.

You can tell you core plugin not to process UI extension points if you
want, but it'll still see them.

Later,
PW

Re: Extension Point Question [message #461607 is a reply to message #461597] Sat, 13 January 2007 14:55 Go to previous message
Nathan is currently offline NathanFriend
thanks alot, I was pretty puzzled by the situation, and now it makes a lot more sense...
Previous Topic:Document save event in eclipse
Next Topic:[Newbie] View notification
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:53:33 GMT 2024