Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Firefox browser on Linux
Firefox browser on Linux [message #460205] Mon, 22 August 2005 18:09 Go to next message
Chris Fong is currently offline Chris FongFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I have an rcp app that uses the swt browser widget. I have it deployed on my Gentoo system and it works fine with MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME set to use Mozilla. I tried to get it to run Firefox instead and I got this error,
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [NS_InitEmbedding /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/ error -2147221164].

It turns out I was using gentoo binary version of firefox, so I went ahead and emerged the source version of it and that one worked. Could someone explain to me why the source version works and the binary one doesn't? I have another user that's also experiencing a similar problem on his Debian machine so I'd like to know if I can provide a solution for him as well.

Thanks
Chris
Re: Firefox browser on Linux [message #460238 is a reply to message #460205] Tue, 23 August 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Piotr Maj is currently offline Piotr MajFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Junior Member

Chris Fong wrote:

> It turns out I was using gentoo binary version of firefox, so I went
> ahead and emerged the source version of it and that one worked.
> Could someone explain to me why the source version works and the
> binary one doesn't? I have another user that's also experiencing a
> similar problem on his Debian machine so I'd like to know if I can
> provide a solution for him as well.

AFAIK firefox is built against GTK 1.2 and eclipse requires GTK 2.0.
The source version you have built was probably linked with GTK 2.0
libraries.

--
best wishes,
piotr maj

jcake software - http://www.jcake.com/
Re: Firefox browser on Linux [message #460248 is a reply to message #460205] Tue, 23 August 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy Biggs is currently offline Billy BiggsFriend
Messages: 94
Registered: July 2009
Member
Chris Fong wrote:
> I have an rcp app that uses the swt browser widget. I have it
> deployed on my Gentoo system and it works fine with MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME
> set to use Mozilla. I tried to get it to run Firefox instead and I got
> this error,
> org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [NS_InitEmbedding
>
> It turns out I was using gentoo binary version of firefox, so I went
> ahead and emerged the source version of it and that one worked.
> Could someone explain to me why the source version works and the
> binary one doesn't?

Mozilla Firefox as shipped by mozilla.org does not include support
for embedding. I have heard that this is to keep the download smaller.
However, distributions often compile their version of Firefox with
embedding support.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=262453

-Billy
Re: Firefox browser on Linux [message #460285 is a reply to message #460248] Tue, 23 August 2005 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Fong is currently offline Chris FongFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Thanks for the response. Is there an easy way for a user to check if their version of Firefox has been compiled with the embedding support?

Chris
Re: Firefox browser on Linux [message #460292 is a reply to message #460285] Tue, 23 August 2005 17:58 Go to previous message
Billy Biggs is currently offline Billy BiggsFriend
Messages: 94
Registered: July 2009
Member
Chris Fong wrote:
> Thanks for the response. Is there an easy way for a user to
> check if their version of Firefox has been compiled with the
> embedding support?

I'm not sure of a foolproof way to tell.

I think if the file "libgtkembedmoz.so" is in the mozilla directory,
then it likely has embedding support. Although, this .so file in
particular isn't refered by SWT directly, so I don't think it has
to be there.

-Billy
Previous Topic:Table layout on Linux/GTK
Next Topic:Can't layout appropriately using FormLayout
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Apr 11 17:48:43 GMT 2021

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02490 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top