Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » SWT Source code examples
SWT Source code examples [message #444462] Wed, 13 October 2004 15:25 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: James.Corbett.CCRA-ADRC.GC.CA

Hello all:

First of all allow me to introduce myself. I am a programmer / analyst
with the Government of Canada CRA. I suppose as a side bar I should
mention that I am completely blind. I interact with a PC via a screen
review application known as JFW (Jaws for Windows).

Up until just about three weeks ago I had my back to the wall with Java
and its lack of accessibility while using AWT and SWING. By hook or crook
I stumbled across Eclipse and then SWT. Very much to my surprise I am now
creating test applications that are accessible.

I am having such great success that I have been tasked with rewriting an
existing application that used SWING. The endevor is to make the
application accessible and see how far we / I can go.

Anyhow, enough with all of that.

the web has tonnes of snipets of code but I am interested in the SWT
source example files that was apparently shipped with Eclipse 3.0.
According to the help system I should be able to locate it with in my
Plugins folder but a folder by folder hunt has turned up no such file nor
has the Search feature of Win2k.

Is this zipped file availible from another source?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim
Re: SWT Source code examples [message #444469 is a reply to message #444462] Wed, 13 October 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Veronika Irvine is currently offline Veronika IrvineFriend
Messages: 1272
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
You need to download the eclipse examples separate from the eclipse SDK. On
any eclipse download page, if you scroll down a bit, you will find the
"Example Plug-ins" section.
For example, follow the link below to the latest integration build for 3.1
and just below the JUnit Plugin Tests you will find the example download:

http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/I-I20041013-2004 10130800/index.php

There is also an SWT FAQ about using the examples:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-swt-home/faq.html#standalone

There are additional SWT examples on the SWT developer's page in the
"Snippets" section:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-swt-home/dev.html#snippets

Please enter bug reports when you find accessibility problems. We do our
best to test in this area but we are not always sure what a user expects
since we are not domain experts.

"Jim Corbett" <James.Corbett@CCRA-ADRC.GC.CA> wrote in message
news:ckjhe1$jug$1@eclipse.org...
> Hello all:
>
> First of all allow me to introduce myself. I am a programmer / analyst
> with the Government of Canada CRA. I suppose as a side bar I should
> mention that I am completely blind. I interact with a PC via a screen
> review application known as JFW (Jaws for Windows).
>
> Up until just about three weeks ago I had my back to the wall with Java
> and its lack of accessibility while using AWT and SWING. By hook or crook
> I stumbled across Eclipse and then SWT. Very much to my surprise I am now
> creating test applications that are accessible.
>
> I am having such great success that I have been tasked with rewriting an
> existing application that used SWING. The endevor is to make the
> application accessible and see how far we / I can go.
>
> Anyhow, enough with all of that.
>
> the web has tonnes of snipets of code but I am interested in the SWT
> source example files that was apparently shipped with Eclipse 3.0.
> According to the help system I should be able to locate it with in my
> Plugins folder but a folder by folder hunt has turned up no such file nor
> has the Search feature of Win2k.
>
> Is this zipped file availible from another source?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Jim
>
Re: SWT Source code examples [message #444480 is a reply to message #444469] Wed, 13 October 2004 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: James.Corbett.CCRA-ADRC.GC.CA

To be quite honest, Eclipse 3.0 is the most accessible IDE that I have
encountered in 11 years of blind programming. Visual Basic 6.0 for example
is about 75 percent accessible and for the past five years I have used it
with great results. On the other hand Eclipse 3.0 is in my humble opinion
about 90 percent accessible. My only quip is the use of red squiggly lines
under errors and the help system.

Obviously a graphic is meaningless to me so I sometimes get caught by not
knowing that they are there in the first place. As for the help system,
its a pane because I cant move to the panel with the actual information
contained with in. Typically I would use PF 6 to move from pane to pane
but it doesn't seem to work in this IDE. However all and all I am very
happy.

Jim

Veronika Irvine wrote:

> You need to download the eclipse examples separate from the eclipse SDK. On
> any eclipse download page, if you scroll down a bit, you will find the
> "Example Plug-ins" section.
> For example, follow the link below to the latest integration build for 3.1
> and just below the JUnit Plugin Tests you will find the example download:

>
http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/I-I20041013-2004 10130800/index.php

> There is also an SWT FAQ about using the examples:

>
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-swt-home/faq.html#standalone

> There are additional SWT examples on the SWT developer's page in the
> "Snippets" section:

>
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-swt-home/dev.html#snippets

> Please enter bug reports when you find accessibility problems. We do our
> best to test in this area but we are not always sure what a user expects
> since we are not domain experts.

> "Jim Corbett" <James.Corbett@CCRA-ADRC.GC.CA> wrote in message
> news:ckjhe1$jug$1@eclipse.org...
> > Hello all:
> >
> > First of all allow me to introduce myself. I am a programmer / analyst
> > with the Government of Canada CRA. I suppose as a side bar I should
> > mention that I am completely blind. I interact with a PC via a screen
> > review application known as JFW (Jaws for Windows).
> >
> > Up until just about three weeks ago I had my back to the wall with Java
> > and its lack of accessibility while using AWT and SWING. By hook or crook
> > I stumbled across Eclipse and then SWT. Very much to my surprise I am now
> > creating test applications that are accessible.
> >
> > I am having such great success that I have been tasked with rewriting an
> > existing application that used SWING. The endevor is to make the
> > application accessible and see how far we / I can go.
> >
> > Anyhow, enough with all of that.
> >
> > the web has tonnes of snipets of code but I am interested in the SWT
> > source example files that was apparently shipped with Eclipse 3.0.
> > According to the help system I should be able to locate it with in my
> > Plugins folder but a folder by folder hunt has turned up no such file nor
> > has the Search feature of Win2k.
> >
> > Is this zipped file availible from another source?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Jim
> >
Re: SWT Source code examples [message #444595 is a reply to message #444480] Fri, 15 October 2004 18:18 Go to previous message
Douglas Pollock is currently offline Douglas PollockFriend
Messages: 84
Registered: July 2009
Member
Jim Corbett wrote:
> Obviously a graphic is meaningless to me so I sometimes get caught by not
> knowing that they are there in the first place. As for the help system,
> its a pane because I cant move to the panel with the actual information
> contained with in. Typically I would use PF 6 to move from pane to pane
> but it doesn't seem to work in this IDE. However all and all I am very
> happy.

On Windows XP, you can use the following keys to navigate the help system:
- Ctrl+Tab / Ctrl+Shift+Tab to switch between panes
- Tab and arrow keys to move around within a pane
- Enter to select an item
- Right arrow to expand an item


In general, though, I get the feeling the keyboard navigation in the help
system is challenging. Feel free to log a bug with any problems you
encounter (" https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Platform").



cheers,
d.
Previous Topic:Viewer and widget
Next Topic:Reordering Table Columns in Carbon
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Oct 27 22:01:40 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.11066 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top