Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Semaphore timeout when attempting to clone gitlab repository(Encountering a semaphore timeout issue when trying to clone a gitlab repository)
Semaphore timeout when attempting to clone gitlab repository [message #1857542] Tue, 14 February 2023 16:01 Go to next message
Tim Müller is currently offline Tim MüllerFriend
I am having trouble with an error concerning cloning a gitlab repository of a maven project in eclipse.
I attached the error window as a file to this post.
I am on windows 10, the currently newest eclipse version(2022-12) and have updated windows, as well as my drivers.

The actual error message itself reads:
"Failed (IOException) to execute: Semaphore timeout period has expired."

This error happens fairly quickly. I only have to wait about 3 seconds before eclipse tells me the cloning failed. I googled around to look for possible sources of this error, and there were some unanimous conclusions made across several areas in which this error occurs.

1. Firewall or anti-virus. I use no secondary software and have attempted to clone while both windows firewall and antivirus were disabled. No luck.
2. Fragmented drive, large filesize or not enough space. I have over 100gb of free space left on the ssd I am attempting to clone the project to, which itself is below 1gb in size, and ssd's do not fragment the same way hdd's do. My ssd is formatted as NTFS already, which most sources recommend to do. My disk also has no errors or anything similar.
4. Network issue. I have no network connectivity issues. I have attempted to clone the repository from three different networks as well, no luck.
5. Unwanted services being active. I have attempted to clone the repository after doing a "clean boot", ie. disabling all non-windows related services.
6. Hardware issue. I've attempted to clone the repository from different devices (different PC and laptop) as well (although admittedly within my home network), but still no luck. They return the same error.

Could this be a permissions issue? I am at a bit of a loss on what to do here, as I am expected to clone the repository and start work on this project fairly soon, but as my bosses are busy and neither they nor anyone I can find on google seems to have encountered this problem before I don't quite know what to do.

Any advice or further information needed?
Re: Semaphore timeout when attempting to clone gitlab repository [message #1857547 is a reply to message #1857542] Tue, 14 February 2023 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Can you clone this repository using native git ?
Did you try to clone using http or https protocol ?
Re: Semaphore timeout when attempting to clone gitlab repository [message #1857551 is a reply to message #1857547] Tue, 14 February 2023 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Müller is currently offline Tim MüllerFriend
I'm sorry, I am not sure what you mean by "native git". Could you elaborate?

I have tried cloning it using https, the same error occurs. I should have mentioned that before, perhaps.

Thank you for your reply.
Re: Semaphore timeout when attempting to clone gitlab repository [message #1858817 is a reply to message #1857551] Mon, 24 April 2023 13:26 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
With native git I meant the C implementation of git which is available here:
https://git-scm.com/downloads
Previous Topic:Migrating jgit from 5.6 to 6.4 problems.
Next Topic:How to get a list of added and removed commits after a push operation using JGit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:04:43 GMT 2024