Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] Sporadic IOException: String ID unknown
[CDO] Sporadic IOException: String ID unknown [message #1855691] Thu, 27 October 2022 11:27 Go to next message
Alain Picard is currently offline Alain PicardFriend
Hi,

I keep getting sporadic IOException errors of the form:
Caused by: java.io.IOException: String ID unknown: -1177653265
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.io.StringCompressor.read(StringCompressor.java:207)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.protocol.CDODataInputImpl.readCDOPackageURI(CDODataInputImpl.java:187)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.common.model.CDOClassifierRef.<init>(CDOClassifierRef.java:83)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.protocol.CDODataInputImpl.readCDOClassifierRef(CDODataInputImpl.java:192)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.protocol.CDODataInputImpl.readCDOClassifierRefAndResolve(CDODataInputImpl.java:197)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.revision.BaseCDORevision.readSystemValues(BaseCDORevision.java:210)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.revision.BaseCDORevision.read(BaseCDORevision.java:163)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.protocol.CDODataInputImpl.readCDORevision(CDODataInputImpl.java:461)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.protocol.CDODataInputImpl.readCDORevision(CDODataInputImpl.java:452)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.revision.RevisionInfo.readRevision(RevisionInfo.java:223)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.spi.common.revision.RevisionInfo.readResult(RevisionInfo.java:164)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.protocol.LoadRevisionsRequest.confirming(LoadRevisionsRequest.java:140)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.protocol.LoadRevisionsRequest.confirming(LoadRevisionsRequest.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.protocol.CDOClientRequest.confirming(CDOClientRequest.java:104)

This often happens on startup and won't happen again after a restart or for a few days, on the same data.

BTW we are using JVM communication, so no real network that could be more brittle.

Any idea?

Alain
Re: [CDO] Sporadic IOException: String ID unknown [message #1855827 is a reply to message #1855691] Sun, 06 November 2022 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Alain,

Form the line number offsets in your stacktrace I deduce that your CDO version is at least 3 years old.
The last and probably only bigger change in StringCompressor was in May 2018.
Have you tried with a recent CDO version, nevertheless?

With your description I can not reproduce your problem and I've never seen it myself or heard it from other users.
So there's unfortunately not much I can say.

If you can't track the problem down yourself you can still run both clients and server with -Dorg.eclipse.emf.cdo.protocol.compressPackageURIs=false

Re: [CDO] Sporadic IOException: String ID unknown [message #1855840 is a reply to message #1855827] Mon, 07 November 2022 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Eike, this is very intermittent and it reminds me of a problem about 10 years ago when we would sometime have transmission errors from the server to the client.
Re: [CDO] Sporadic IOException: String ID unknown [message #1855846 is a reply to message #1855840] Mon, 07 November 2022 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
So, how old is your CDO version?

I believe that very rare BufferUnderFlowExceptions were the only known Net4j problem.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=561532 has fixed that in eraly 2020.

Re: [CDO] Sporadic IOException: String ID unknown [message #1855850 is a reply to message #1855846] Mon, 07 November 2022 17:40 Go to previous message
Hi Eike,

Our version is forked from 4.6, and reading the issue, I don't get the exception, but that sounds like a possible and possibly one of those cases that can appear later.

We have done a full merge of the code at 4.19 but have issues to resolve before deploying to our test environment. Maybe this will give us a good reason to push this forward.

Thanks
Alain
Previous Topic:[CDO] Reject change in conflict
Next Topic:[CDO] ChangedInTargetAndDetachedInSourceConflict resolution
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:11:14 GMT 2024