Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Eclipse Luna Does Not Reliably Connect to SVNserve(Eclipse Luna Connects to Repos on SVNserve then stops working after a few days.)
Eclipse Luna Does Not Reliably Connect to SVNserve [message #1855599] Sat, 22 October 2022 20:09 Go to next message
Nacho Ganguli is currently offline Nacho GanguliFriend
Hello, I have a strange situation that is repeatable. We are running our repos on SVNserve as a daemon on a Mac Mini. I can launch Eclipse Luna on a client Mac and connect to the repos from my projects and from svn repository exploring with no problem for a few days only, and I can always access repos using svn command line.

However, after a few days (it is not a consistent time period), Eclipse Luna encounters a problem connecting. Re-launching Eclipse does not resolve the connection issue, however if I reboot my client machine and re-launch Eclipse, my projects are once again able to connect.

I don't typically shutdown or restart my computer daily during development, so it is a drag to have to reboot in the middle of debugging/testing, etc.

Any ideas on what I can check or if some Eclipse svn client connector is expiring?

Eclipse Luna Release 2 (4.4.2) on Mac OS High Sierra
SVN version is 1.10.0 on Mac OS High Sierra

Thank you for any suggestions!
Re: Eclipse Luna Does Not Reliably Connect to SVNserve [message #1855632 is a reply to message #1855599] Mon, 24 October 2022 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicolas PeiferFriend
Hi,
Eclipse Luna SR2 is over 7 years old. Maybe an update of Eclipse and Subversive could help. A new version of Subversive was released this month.

I agree that this problem is not acceptable. However, unless the code you are debugging needs to run for a while, restarting Eclipse and getting back on track is quite easy, in my opinion. The workspace state including breakpoints is saved when you close Eclipse and there are bookmarks and conditional breakpoints...

If the problem still persists, please answer the following questions:

1) Is there any error message or stack trace?
If not: Wait two to five minutes maybe the application will run in a connection timeout which would be a good starting point.

2) Is the machine constantly on or waking up from a sleep/hibernate state?

3) Do you encounter other oddities, e. g. high CPU or RAM consumption or VPN connection loss or ...?

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2022 20:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Luna Does Not Reliably Connect to SVNserve [message #1855686 is a reply to message #1855632] Wed, 26 October 2022 23:14 Go to previous message
Nacho Ganguli is currently offline Nacho GanguliFriend
Thank you for the response. The issue is not resolved by restarting Eclipse -- I actually have to reboot my Mac in order for the svn connection to work. When the connection is lost or bad, this is the Eclipse error message I get from issuing a 'compare with > latest from repository' or a 'team > show history':

RESOURCE DOES NOT EXIST
The selected resource does not exist in the HEAD revision of the repository and requested operation will be limited by the working copy revision.

I'm not sure how to check the stack trace. I can verify the LAN connection to the device hosting SVNServe; I can also issue an 'svn ls' command from my machine's terminal window to the device hosting SVNServe.

I will try exiting Eclipse daily to see if that helps and will also look into upgrading Eclipse and SVN as you suggest.
Previous Topic:[Release] Subversive 4.8.0
Next Topic:How do I compare a repository folder with a file system folder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:02:20 GMT 2024