Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Plans for Jakarta EE 9+ Servlet API
Plans for Jakarta EE 9+ Servlet API [message #1855577] Thu, 20 October 2022 21:45 Go to next message
Benjamin Wolff is currently offline Benjamin WolffFriend
Dear RAP devs,

are there any plans to support the usage of RAP/RWT in a Jakarta EE 9+ API environment? If not, maybe we could use this thread for discussing the options?

RAP/RWT is relying on the javax.servlet API on possibly others. Afaik the only change in Jakarta EE 9 is to move interfaces to the new jakarta.servlet package name. Although the javax.servlet API will very likely remain supported for many years to come, many other heavyweights in the Java ecosystem are starting to move to the Jakarta EE 9+ APIs (Tomcat 10, Hibernate 6, Spring 6, Spring Boot 3, ...). I think it's therefore worth discussing the options for using RAP with such a tech stack.

Maybe there will be (or is already) a compatibility layer that exposes the javax.servlet and delegates to jakarta.servlet? Since other Eclipse projects are probably facing the same issues, do you know if there is already a roadmap for moving to je JaEE 9+?

Cheers,
Ben
Re: Plans for Jakarta EE 9+ Servlet API [message #1855667 is a reply to message #1855577] Wed, 26 October 2022 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Furnadjiev is currently offline Ivan FurnadjievFriend
Hi Ben,

the support for Jakarta EE 9+ API is under discussion internally in the RAP team. We are still not sure how to address it. Jetty has two separated versions 10 vs 11. Tomcat also have separate versions 9 vs 10. I didn't hear anything about compatibility layer that exposes the javax.servlet and delegates to jakarta.servlet.

Currently, the platform is using Jetty 10 (javax API), that's why we are still using it.

Best regards,
Ivan
Re: Plans for Jakarta EE 9+ Servlet API [message #1855689 is a reply to message #1855577] Thu, 27 October 2022 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Knauer is currently offline Markus KnauerFriend

Hi Ben,

may I ask you to create a new issue request in GitHub at

https://github.com/eclipse-rap/org.eclipse.rap/issues/new

to continue the discussion about this topic? That would be a place with more visibility than our newsgroup.

I am personally interested in it, and we've internally discussed it several times over the last year, but decided to wait for community requests mainly for two reasons: (a) it is a breaking change for every consumer and needs coordination with other projects, and (b) I'd like to see some kind of funding/sponsoring, because I pretty sure it involves more work in the end than just changing a few package imports here and there.

Yesterday evening I brought up this topic in a discussion that I had at EclipseCon with some committers from other projects, e.g. the Eclipse Platform team would be willing to upgrade from Jetty 10 to 11, although they weren't quite sure what/how it is used (in the "help" subsystem), and whether it could be done at all (very likely they rely on JSP).

As you can see there are many things to discuss... :-)

Regards
Markus

--

Twitter: @mknauer23 and @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Plans for Jakarta EE 9+ Servlet API [message #1855693 is a reply to message #1855689] Thu, 27 October 2022 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin Wolff is currently offline Benjamin WolffFriend
I've created an issue on GitHub to continue the discussion there: https://github.com/eclipse-rap/org.eclipse.rap/issues/73
Re: Plans for Jakarta EE 9+ Servlet API [message #1855695 is a reply to message #1855693] Thu, 27 October 2022 14:39 Go to previous message
Markus Knauer is currently offline Markus KnauerFriend

Thank you!
Previous Topic:RAP 3.22 war deployment
Next Topic:How to perform a release build?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:49:46 GMT 2024