Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » remove all trailing blanks from all java files in a project or how to do a sync ignoring blanks
remove all trailing blanks from all java files in a project or how to do a sync ignoring blanks [message #1854037] Thu, 28 July 2022 20:16 Go to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
There are supposedly settings to remove trailing blanks and to ignore whitespace on sync, but I can't get either to work.

sync (cvs) - window->preferences->general->compare/patch->ignore white space, doesn't work

source format - window->preferences->java->editor->save actions->additional items-> remove trailing white space. Doesn't work when formatting multiple files

If I go to each file, change something and then save, it works, but I have over 600 source files times 2 revisions so I'd like to be able to just select the project and format them all at once. That works for the basic formatting, but the tailing whitespace isn't always touched.

The problem I am trying to resolve is that I have a new rev of my application that has been been updated (new java, jboss, 3rd party jars, etc.). That update process started about a year ago and now I want to import some code changes that have been made in the old rev since then so I want to compare, but the compare is getting muddied up with a lot of whitespace in the comparison so I want to clean up all of the source before re running the compare.

Any thoughts?

eclipse 2022-03 (4.23.0)
Re: remove all trailing blanks from all java files in a project or how to do a sync ignoring blanks [message #1854041 is a reply to message #1854037] Fri, 29 July 2022 07:09 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This same option is available via Java -> Code Style -> Clean Up and you can invoke Source -> Clean Up... from the context menu to operate on many files.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Migrating Eclipse 4.8 Neon-> Eclipse 4.18 version
Next Topic:Eclipse crashes since I tried to install Scala
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:44:23 GMT 2024