Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) » tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse(When starting my project on server, the tomcat8 server fails to start)
tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse [message #1851973] Sun, 24 April 2022 15:09 Go to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
Until recently, I was running my project in the Oxygen release of Eclipse on a Debian release, the "Buster" release, of Linux. That version of Eclipse got corrupted when my system crashed, and I have installed Version 2022-03 (4.23.0) on my computer. I'm running java 1.8 for my project.

I am now in the process of setting up my Eclipse project. I have created a "Dynamic Web Project". When I try to start the project, I am doing the following:

right click --> Debug As --> Debug On Server

The 'server startup' begins and a pop-up window, titled: "Problem Occured" appears, with the message:

'Starting Tomcat v8.0 Server at localhost' has encountered a problem.

Server Tomcat v8.0 Server at locathost failed to start.

If I click on the 'Details" button, it gives the same message.

If I then switch from the "Servers" tab to the "Console" tab, I get an error log which I am attaching.

I am planning to enter a bug report, but before doing so, maybe someone can examine the attached 'eclipse.tomcat.log' and suggest a change to my environment, or to my start up procedure, that will allow me to get the tomcat 8 server started in Eclipse Version 2022-03 (4.23.0.

Comments?

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2022 16:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse [message #1852007 is a reply to message #1851973] Mon, 25 April 2022 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

According to the log, your server runtime is launching with Java 17, not Java 8.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse [message #1852147 is a reply to message #1852007] Mon, 02 May 2022 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin, thank for that pointer. I have cleaned up the environment and when I start up Eclipse, I am now accessing jre 1.8 and tomcat 8.0.53.

However, I still cannot bring up eclipse because it is balking at the tomcat8.0.53.

I first do a fresh install of tomcat 8.0.53 into /usr/share/apache-tomcat-8.0.53.

I then do a the following:
- fresh installation of Eclipse 2022-03
- bring up Eclipse
- Create a Dynamic Web Project
- Within the project I click on the link "No servers are available. Click on this link to create a new server ...".
- A Form name "New Server" pops up
- Under "Select the server type", I expand the Apache choices
- I select "Tomcat V8.0 Server"

At the top of the form, I then get the error message:
Quote:
Could not load the Tomcat server configuration at /usr/share/apache-tomcat-8.0.53/conf. The configuration may be corrupt or incomplete.

Because Eclipse and Tomcat are fresh installs, I doubt that Tomcat is corrupted and this looks like a defect in Eclipse. I am inclined to submit this as a bug report, but I am looking for comments before doing so.

I cannot attach a file to this "Quick Reply", but I will add it to my original post as "cataline.out".
Re: tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse [message #1852155 is a reply to message #1852147] Mon, 02 May 2022 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That sounds like one of the oldest problems specific to distribution-packaged copies of Tomcat: an unrecognized and unpredictable layout combined with a lack of write permissions.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#Why_won.27t_the_New_Server_Runtime_dialog_recognize_my_Linux_installed_version_of_Tomcat.3F

The tools can download and install a usable copy for you.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2022 21:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse [message #1852156 is a reply to message #1852155] Mon, 02 May 2022 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin, thank you again for your advise. Much appreciated.

I will give an update in the next few days.

Jim
Re: tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse [message #1852157 is a reply to message #1852156] Mon, 02 May 2022 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked at:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#Why_won.27t_the_New_Server_Runtime_dialog_recognize_my_Linux_installed_version_of_Tomcat.3F

and I no sure that it helps.

The 2nd paragraph "servlet-api.jar" being a link causing a problem. My project is a Dynamic Web Project and "servlet-api.jar" is a file in the lib directory.

The 3rd paragraph reads:

Quote:
In most situations, the simplest solution tends to be to download a Binary Distribution in tar/zip format from https://tomcat.apache.org/, unpack it, and use it with the wizard.

I do tar and unzip tomcat, but I am not sure what the "wizard" refers to.
Re: tomcat 8 fails to start in eclipse [message #1852158 is a reply to message #1852157] Mon, 02 May 2022 22:07 Go to previous message

It's the New Server Runtime wizard, the one that should have complained about the location in the first place.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Previous Topic:Building JPA Project: beancreation"
Next Topic:The selection did not contain any resources that can run on a server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:10:56 GMT 2024