Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » Acceleo or Xtend , to be used for model to text transformation
Acceleo or Xtend , to be used for model to text transformation [message #1850543] Tue, 08 March 2022 09:53 Go to next message
Lavya Thippabathini is currently offline Lavya ThippabathiniFriend

Hi,

I am in confusion whether to use acceleo or xtend plugin for performing
model to text transformation.

As both acceleo and xtend are M2T code generators and has same functionality , could you please suggest which plugin to be used?

Regards,
Lavya

Re: Acceleo or Xtend , to be used for model to text transformation [message #1850554 is a reply to message #1850543] Tue, 08 March 2022 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

When you want to have a biased answer I'll recommend Xtend. It's static typing and strong Java integration are outstanding to build sophisticated code (or model-to-text) generators.

However, try out both, also Acceleo is a very mature technology.
Re: Acceleo or Xtend , to be used for model to text transformation [message #1850560 is a reply to message #1850554] Tue, 08 March 2022 13:47 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It's a difficult decision.

As a strong OMG supporter I would like to recommend Acceleo that implements the MOFM2T standard. Unfortunately Acceleo is now only passively maintained and a number of important problems remain unresolved.

I personally prefer Xtend which I use in as light a weight fashion as possible; a thin String Template Xtend layer on top of a Java implementation layer. Unfortunately there are indications that Xtend may be deprecated. Many of Xtend's features are now obsolete since Java has provided similar facilities. However it is the M2T String Template functionality that is invaluable.

If you find that you need to debug your transformations and are familiar with Java you find that Xtend, as a layer on top of Java, makes debugging easy. If Acceleo offered a perfect abstraction, you would not need to dig deep to debug, Sadly modeling tools are a long way from perfect abstractions so you will struggle a bit getting through the abstraction.

In terms of active support, I should mention JET that as an important part of EMF is unlikely to go away any time soon. However JET is really a previous generation of technology.

Academically, I should point out that it is actually possible to do M2T with an M2M, see [1], but a couple of months work is needed to smooth off some rough edges.

Regards

Ed Willink

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/mmt/qvt/docs/OCL2018TextM2M/TextM2M.pdf
Previous Topic:Acceleo issue- SSL Handshake Exception
Next Topic:Compilation of Acceleo module failing using acceleo maven plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:16:04 GMT 2024