Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Detached editor "toolbar" corrupt after its window closed
Detached editor "toolbar" corrupt after its window closed [message #1850307] Thu, 24 February 2022 17:17 Go to next message
Jack McKalling is currently offline Jack McKallingFriend
I accidentally did something I don't know how to recover from. I don't know what detaching editors really does or how it's supposed to work, but I tried it and now I cannot get rid of it anymore.

- I opened a Java file in an editor
- I detached the editor, it opened a new window for just that editor
- I minimized the editor in said window, it became a "toolbar" thing that you can drag around, that thing that has a restore button to unminimize the editor and a button to open the editor as a hovering view
- I dragged the toolbar from the window into the main workbench window and placed it next to another toolbar
- I closed the now empty window
- The toolbar now doesn't have any (buttons for) editors in it anymore, and clicking the "restore" button doesn't do anything anymore because the window it came from is now gone

How do I get rid of this toolbar? I didn't want to open the editor in a new window hence why I closed it, but I apparently shouldn't have done that while its toolbar was in the main window. Closing its window didn't remove the toolbar from the main window, but corrupted it instead.

These toolbars aren't really toolbars so I cannot find them in the customize perspective dialog. Is there maybe some other place where I can list all toolbars/editors or whatever this is called, that I have open in the workbench, so I can remove it from there?
Re: Detached editor "toolbar" corrupt after its window closed [message #1850325 is a reply to message #1850307] Fri, 25 February 2022 08:00 Go to previous message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
You can get remove this toolbar by resetting your perspective:
Window > Perspective > Reset Perspective...

This will reset any customization you made to your perspective.

You can consider to report this on Eclipse Platform UI as well, you should not be able to end up in this state: https://bugs.eclipse.org
Previous Topic:Main menu persistence
Next Topic:Localize system menu (Mac OS)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:47:50 GMT 2024