Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » QVT-OML » Modeltype metamodel
Modeltype metamodel [message #1849813] Thu, 03 February 2022 13:34 Go to next message
John Henbergs is currently offline John HenbergsFriend
Hi I have a question that might be very basic but I am still a bit confused.
In QVTo when you use the keyword model type you actually reference a metamodel. Why is it called model type if it references a metamodel? And what would the transformation would usually be named if for example we have MMa (instance model Ma) and MMb (instance model Mb); MMaToMMb or MaToMb?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Modeltype metamodel [message #1849814 is a reply to message #1849813] Thu, 03 February 2022 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christopher Gerking is currently offline Christopher GerkingFriend
Hi John

John Henbergs wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 08:34

Why is it called model type if it references a metamodel?

Well, this is probably a philosophical discussion, but wouldn't you agree that a metamodel is basically the type of a model?

John Henbergs wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 08:34

And what would the transformation would usually be named if for example we have MMa (instance model Ma) and MMb (instance model Mb); MMaToMMb or MaToMb?

Since the transformation can generally handle arbitrary instances of MMa and MMb (not just a single Ma or Mb), I think it is more clear to use MMaToMMb. But that's just a personal opinion.

Kind regards
Christopher
Re: Modeltype metamodel [message #1849832 is a reply to message #1849814] Thu, 03 February 2022 18:58 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It is indeed confusing, but not wrong. A model type could be the type of the specific Model or the overall metamodel. (THere are many things in UML and beyond that could be better named with the aid of 25 years hindsight.)

Ditto. I favour MMa2MMb, so that "To" remains free in case the application has e.g. SourceToTarget.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:[QVTo] Can a constructor call another constructor?
Next Topic:Replace conditional statements with queries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:01:37 GMT 2024