Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse with ESP-IDF plugin: I keep having to rebuild the index for no reason(Rebuilding index)
Eclipse with ESP-IDF plugin: I keep having to rebuild the index for no reason [message #1844163] Fri, 03 September 2021 18:37 Go to next message
Mark Bratcher is currently offline Mark BratcherFriend
I have grown to really like using Eclipse for my ESP32 ESP-IDF development.

However, there's one very annoying thing I keep having to do: rebuild the index. It will be fine for awhile, then suddenly it starts flagging all of my external function calls and variable references with squiggly lines like they aren't found in the headers. It compiles successfully.

On top of this, I can't just rebuild the index. I have to do it several times before it finally works. I'm not actually sure what makes it finally work. I just keep fiddling with it until I finally get it to work on some attempt. Then it will be fine for awhile again and then, say after a build, it goes back into flagging functions and variables again. I think if I do a "clean", exit, then restart Eclipse, I can do the index rebuild and it will actually do something.

So, I'm not sure what's going on here. The behavior is very strange. Has anyone else experienced this and found a way to resolve it?
Re: Eclipse with ESP-IDF plugin: I keep having to rebuild the index for no reason [message #1844175 is a reply to message #1844163] Sat, 04 September 2021 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I'm using 2021-06 under Linux and don't have any problems.
Some possibilities:

Are you using a third party plugin for your development?
If so, you should ask its developers about this.
Those are modified CDT installations.

If you are using a CMake project, they mess with the Indexer
and the Indexer is usually valid only after a complete build.

If you are using a Makefile project,
check that the providers all save their results in the project.

If the problem still persists and is plain vanilla CDT
then you may have to file a bug report.

Re: Eclipse with ESP-IDF plugin: I keep having to rebuild the index for no reason [message #1844177 is a reply to message #1844175] Sat, 04 September 2021 23:36 Go to previous message
Mark Bratcher is currently offline Mark BratcherFriend
David Vavra wrote on Sat, 04 September 2021 15:46
I'm using 2021-06 under Linux and don't have any problems.
Some possibilities:

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Quote:

Are you using a third party plugin for your development?
If so, you should ask its developers about this.
Those are modified CDT installations.
I am. I'm using the ESP-IDF plugin and have posted on their forum. Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from anyone there after several days.
Quote:

If you are using a CMake project, they mess with the Indexer
and the Indexer is usually valid only after a complete build.

If you are using a Makefile project,
check that the providers all save their results in the project.

Yes, the ESP-IDF is CMake based. I've been playing with determining when Eclipse will allow me to generate a new index. Not only do I have to do a clean build, but I need to exit and restart Eclipse. But I am yet uncertain exactly whether that is indeed the incantation and the only incantation that works.
Previous Topic:Can I switch from local to crosscompiler ?
Next Topic:Direct Remote C++ Debugging error running gdb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:13:56 GMT 2024