Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » JavaScript editor stopped providing context(Editing JavaScript no longer provides any context - It's now treated as plain text)
JavaScript editor stopped providing context [message #1842540] Tue, 22 June 2021 21:35 Go to next message
Rb Rangr is currently offline Rb RangrFriend
I'm using:

Eclipse IDE for Enterprise Java and Web Developers (includes Incubating components). Version: 2021-03 (4.19.0) Build id: 20210312-0638

The editor for javascript was working fine, providing relevant highlighting, context editing, and formatting (coloring) of the various statements. Just as expected.

Then earlier today eclipse applied an update that it suggested and all javascript contextual editor content is now gone. It's treated like plain text.

I took a look under preferences, general, editors, file associations for .js and it only has Generic Text Editors and Text Editors. Both say the are locked by 'JavaScript' content type. But it's still plain text.

What would fix the editor? I tried to update Wild Web Developers and also the Eclipse Web Developers Tools as eclipse suggested, but there are no changes; it still plain text.

What's also frustrating about this, is that the javascript source that has been open still has the contextual formatting, but if I close one of those files and try to reopen it, its then displayed as a plain text file. So it appears there is a javascript editor that is functional, but it will not activate with javascript files anymore.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Blue
Re: JavaScript editor stopped providing context [message #1842560 is a reply to message #1842540] Wed, 23 June 2021 17:33 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Which version are you running now, where the behavior is wrong? Are you sure you're still opening your .js files in the Generic Text Editor after the update?

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Window Working Sets and Quick Access (Ctl-3)
Next Topic:java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 25 04:11:52 GMT 2021