Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Mat Linux Command Line Usage with Discard Feature(Mat Linux Command Line Usage with Discard Feature)
Mat Linux Command Line Usage with Discard Feature [message #1842128] Wed, 09 June 2021 18:54 Go to next message
Louis Johnson is currently offline Louis JohnsonFriend
Hello, all! I am trying to parse a relatively large heap dump file ~100G. Due to the long size limit, we will need to use the discard feature. We are trying the feature with command line with no luck so far. Here is the MemoryAnalyzer.ini setting we have

###
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.5.700.v20200207-2156.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.1100.v20190907-0426
-discard_enable=true
-discard_ratio=100
-discard_pattern="java\\."
-vmargs
-Xmx220g
-XX:+UseStringDeduplication
###

Do we miss anything here? Thank you!
Re: Mat Linux Command Line Usage with Discard Feature [message #1842216 is a reply to message #1842128] Sat, 12 June 2021 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
That looks roughly right.
I hadn't considered having the options in the ini file rather than as arguments to ParseHeapDump.sh but I think it might work. [For Windows then as the executable in ParseHeapDump.bat is
eclipsec.exe
the ini file would need to be
eclipsec.ini
.]

If it is working then in you should see a message (on the command line or in the error log) like:

[WARNING] Discarded 95,860 objects taking 3,308,160 bytes because of discard ratio 100% with pattern java.*

I think the trouble may be in the
-discard_pattern="java\\."

There's no wildcard
.*
at the end so that won't match anything.
The double quotes might not be removed, so for the ini file I would remove the double quotes. I'm not sure how command line processing of backslash works so perhaps using
[.]
would be better. So try:
-discard_pattern=java[.].*

or for the command line:
"-discard_pattern=java[.]*"

Re: Mat Linux Command Line Usage with Discard Feature [message #1842264 is a reply to message #1842216] Mon, 14 June 2021 23:55 Go to previous message
Louis Johnson is currently offline Louis JohnsonFriend
Thank you, Andrew! Yes, you are totally right, we miss the wildcard matching symbol. After adding the missing symbol, everything works fine now.
Previous Topic:Not A HPROF heap dump when parsing PHD files
Next Topic:Leak Suspect Report makes huge file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:30:19 GMT 2024