Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't find object file compiler hasn't made yet
Can't find object file compiler hasn't made yet [message #1840347] Tue, 13 April 2021 00:15 Go to next message
wi men is currently offline wi menFriend
to make this very brief I was getting a 'skipping incompatible when searching for' error when I realized MINGW_HOME environment variable was set to a 64 bit tool chain instead of the 32 bit one.

An object file created with the 64 bit toolchain was left over so when I compiled again the 32 bit toolchain didn't recognize it so deleted it and then it complained about there not being an object file.

So I used notepad to create a dummy one and quickly typed gibberish in there then saved and closed it. It seem to unexpectedly overwrote the dummy. I was intrigued so I deleted that one and made another dummy one but blank this time. Regrettably I got the same 'no such file or director issue'.

I permanently deleted the previous one so I cant get it back. Btw the project settings files were copied from a previous project in the same workspace and all instances of the old project name in both '.cproject' '.project' were replaced with new one.

Here is the error message:

16:27:49 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project circles ****
Info: Internal Builder is used for build
g++ "-LC:\\SFML-2.5.1\\lib" -o circles.exe circles.o -lopengl32 -lfreetype -lwinmm -lgdi32 -lsfml-graphics-s-d -lsfml-window-s-d -lsfml-audio-s-d -lsfml-network-s-d -lsfml-system-s-d 
g++: error: circles.o: No such file or directory

16:27:49 Build Finished. 0 errors, 0 warnings. (took 88ms)

Re: Can't find object file compiler hasn't made yet [message #1840393 is a reply to message #1840347] Wed, 14 April 2021 05:04 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
circles.o doesn't exist in the directory where you are running make.
That directory is likely the Debug directory for your project.
It depends on your settings for configuration Debug.

If this is a Managed Build project, the object files are usually in src in the Debug directory.
That is, <project dir>/Debug/src
It's not clear why your link step is trying to find the object in the Debug directory

The build compile step will usually be something like
g++ -o src/<srcname>.o ../src/<srcname>.cpp
(Note the source is in a directory parallel to the Debug directory.
but the object is in a directory within the Debug directory --
both named src)

and the link
g++ -o <projectname>.exe ./src/<projectname>.o

Suggest you clean your project then do a complete build.
If you still have problems then post the complete build log.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2021 05:33]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How pin the console on the bottom central windows
Next Topic:Can I use make instead of cmake?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:18:27 GMT 2024