Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Entire UI freezes for duration of build
Entire UI freezes for duration of build [message #1838013] Sat, 13 February 2021 05:21
Paul DeRocco is currently offline Paul DeRoccoFriend
I see lots of freezes reported for Eclipse for various reasons, but never this one. And I'm seeing it on two different machines. The basic situation is that when I do a build the entire Eclipse window freezes at some point, while the build proceeds normally in the background. When it is finished, boom, the window springs to life and I see the tail end of the build messages in the build console pane. There is no evidence that Eclipse noticed anything was wrong.

1) I have a Win10 laptop running 2019-06 natively. It sometimes makes it through a build, even a long one, often freezes after compiling a couple dozen files, and sometimes freezes right on the first or second file.

2) I have a Win10 desktop running 2020-12 under Ubuntu in VirtualBox. It always freezes immediately at the start of the build, without even putting anything in the status line.

In both cases, I can switch away from the window, but there isn't a single button or other widget in the window that responds even to passing the mouse cursor over it. The UI is frozen at absolute zero. Meanwhile, the build proceeds happily in the background at normal speed.

What on earth could cause this to happen on two unrelated machines, compiling unrelated code, in two OSes? And yet I've been unable to find any other mention of this specific problem here or anywhere else.
Previous Topic:Can't select text in editors
Next Topic:Missing gcrt1.o for gprof on Timestorm C++ build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:10:33 GMT 2024