Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) » A decent Javascript editor with code collapse and reference finding?(Javascript editor frustrations)
A decent Javascript editor with code collapse and reference finding? [message #1837447] Sat, 30 January 2021 07:09 Go to next message
Bernd Wechner is currently offline Bernd WechnerFriend
I'm using Eclipse 2020-12 and working a bit with Javascript. The only editor I have in Eclipse currently for that seems to be the Liclipse Javascript Editor.

It has syntax highlighting but lacks code collapse and reference finding (that I'm used to using on other editors, notably PyDev).

So I've taken a look at alternatives, and met with little liuck and lots of confusion.

For example I can install Javascript Development Tools from Install New Software, but it's version 2.3 and adds no Javascript editor or perspective to my Eclipse instance.

I say only 2.3 because here:

https://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jsdt/

Apparently 3.8 is the latest version. And was already available in Neon (years ago? I remember using Neon when it was the latest)

I could find 3.20 under:

Eclipse Java Web Developer Tools - JavaScript Support 3.20.0.v202011230434

Tried that but still no new Javascript editor or Perspective available.

I have installed:

Wild Web Developer 0.10.5.202012011111 org.eclipse.wildwebdeveloper.feature.feature.group Eclipse Wild Web Developer project

But no Javascript editor or perspective ...

What am I doing wrong, and is it possible to the latest JSDT in Eclipse 2020-12 and does it even include a good JS editor with code collapse features and reference finding?
Re: A decent Javascript editor with code collapse and reference finding? [message #1837460 is a reply to message #1837447] Sat, 30 January 2021 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Wild Web Developer provides its features through the Generic Editor, and does not provide a Perspective nor require a distinct
project type to work. It has supported modern JavaScript syntax better than JSDT did for some time. Any questions about its
feature set should be directed to https://github.com/eclipse/wildwebdeveloper.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Sat, 30 January 2021 20:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A decent Javascript editor with code collapse and reference finding? [message #1837471 is a reply to message #1837447] Sun, 31 January 2021 01:55 Go to previous message
Bernd Wechner is currently offline Bernd WechnerFriend
You have to be kidding me! Like wow, thank you so so much. I just tried it and it supports code collapse and jumping to definitions with F3. A dream come true. Huge sanity saving and productivity features when working with a .js file.

Forgive me for not noticing that. I had presumably been using the Generic Text Editor years ago, then installed PyDev and found the LiClipse Javascript editor and stuck with it, and in the mean time Wild Web Developer snuck such awesomeness into the Generic text Editor.

Kudos and thanks!
Previous Topic:Dark theme, xsd file editor, almost black on almost black
Next Topic:Delete Inactive Version ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:10:49 GMT 2024