Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » What is required to make a documentation plugin show up in Eclipse Infocenter 4.17 war?
What is required to make a documentation plugin show up in Eclipse Infocenter 4.17 war? [message #1835847] Mon, 14 December 2020 23:21
Aaron DaMommio is currently offline Aaron DaMommioFriend
What are the key requirements to make a jar or folder plugin that you want to function as eclipse help, show up in a 4.17 eclipse help exported as a war?
===
I'm trying to make an Eclipse 4.17 infocenter as a war file, using Java1 and to be displayed in Tomcat 9.0.34, using the procedure described here: https://help.eclipse.org/2020-09/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_war.htm?cp=2_0_19_1_4

I've worked with eclipse help jars for a long time as a documentation creator, and have made help plugins by hand and by code. I'm used to troubleshooting issues in plugin.xml files and toc.xml files to make these work, but I'm not sure where to turn now.

I've not gotten this to do anything other that show me 404 errors. I turned to a pregenerated war file that was attached to this: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=363009
and I got an empty infocenter, showing the expected search panel and content pane but no content other than the default help.

I tried adding my test jars to the C:\eclipseframe\help363009\WEB-INF\configuration\org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator\bundles.info file, but they still don't appear. These are test jars that work fine with wars made with earlier Eclipse (3.16).

By 'adding jars' I mean I unzipped the war, added jars to the plugins folder, updated bundles.info, then rewarred the fileset.

Next, I downloaded an Eclipse documentation jar, org.eclipse.pde.doc.user_3.14.900.v20200902-1022, and added it to the bundles.info file, and rebuilt the war...and that jar's content shows up.

I was surprised by the bundles.info editing requirement in the procedure; previous infocenters I've worked with would register any plugin jars added, automatically. But maybe I need to add jars for that or something.

I noted that the pde.doc.user jar I tested with didn't list a plugin id in its plugin.xml file. I had thought that you need a plugin id and version for a plugin to be recognized. Has this info shifted to an osgi manifest file ?

I've done a lot of searching and testing but feel like I must be missing some key pieces of info, so a few hints would be greatly appreciated.
Previous Topic:Cannot Create Java Virtual Machine: Unrecognized option: -Xincgc
Next Topic:Custom Plug-in - Capture the Mouse Right Click popup menu selection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jan 19 22:39:05 GMT 2021