Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » DSML configure Diagram Assistants
DSML configure Diagram Assistants [message #1835743] Fri, 11 December 2020 10:17 Go to next message
Christoph Lehr is currently offline Christoph LehrFriend
Hi all,

I'm trying to configure diagram assistants for my customized Class Diagram, but I stumbled on some issues.

I generated the assistants file and I configured the Compound filters of the ConnectionAssisstant, but I still can connect all Elements with my customized ConnectionType.

I deployed the assistants file, no change. I configured the extension point org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.assistant.modelProviders as described in the help and added the assistants file into the URI, no change.

What needs to be done that this works?

Additionally I'd like to configure which elements can be placed in the diagram, but I don't find any documentation on that. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BR Christoph Lehr
Re: DSML configure Diagram Assistants [message #1835805 is a reply to message #1835743] Sun, 13 December 2020 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Hi, Christoph,

I attach a sample project that defines an element types configurations model with a single type: an association between interfaces in which all ends are owned by the association. Included is an assistants model that, at run-time, lets me create this special association between interfaces or to/from an existing interface and a new interface. But, it does not allow to connect to any non-interface nor to create any non-interface as source/target of a new "interface association."

One of the important aspects in the creation of a connection to/from a new element in the diagram is that the assistant model must enumerate the creatable element types for its relationship types.

Another important aspect (I think; not sure) is that the registrations of these models must both reference the Papyrus element-types context ID. I think I've seen models that leave the context ID null, but I don't know what that means.

Perhaps you can see some meaningful difference between my minimal example and your case?

As regards the restriction of what can be created in the diagram: the assistants models are good for specifying how to create and connect new (custom) types of elements. Not so much restricting the capabilities of existing types, or types defined by other bundles/languages. Perhaps for this you need to define a custom diagram type ("representation kind") in an architecture context model. Not something that I have much experience with, myself, but others on this forum have.

HTH,
Christian
Re: DSML configure Diagram Assistants [message #1836034 is a reply to message #1835805] Fri, 18 December 2020 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Lehr is currently offline Christoph LehrFriend
Hi Christian,

I tried out your sample project and it worked as expected. I tried replicating at, but I didn't manage to get it working with Generalizations or having a Generalization with a Stereotype applied to it.
Should this work for Generalizations ? Is there anything else to do ?

BR Christoph
Re: DSML configure Diagram Assistants [message #1836035 is a reply to message #1836034] Fri, 18 December 2020 16:05 Go to previous message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Hi, Christoph,

No, generalizations should be no different to any other relationship as far as the connection assistants are concerned. I found it tricky in developing my example to get the right mix of element-type references. There's the question of whether to reference a "visual" specialization type representing a particular visualization of the element in the diagram, or the "semantic" element type that it is based on. And also making sure that not only the element types for which you're defining assistants are listed in the root assistants model element, but also the element types that you want those assistants to connect.

Cheers,
Christian
Previous Topic:Issues when saving from CDT Editor.
Next Topic:Eclipse 2020-12 Released, is papyrus as well?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:02:40 GMT 2024