Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » jrt-fs.jar problem with new install(Failed to init ct.sym for ... jrt-fs.jar)
jrt-fs.jar problem with new install [message #1834632] Fri, 13 November 2020 20:20 Go to next message
Paul Richardson is currently offline Paul RichardsonFriend
New to Eclipse and Java GUI programming. Tried a complete new install of Eclipse 2020-09 using eclipse-inst-jre-win64.exe, and then added the WindowBuilder through the Marketplace in the IDE. I had jdk 11 installed prior to this (don't know if this would affect it). I tried to build an SWT/JFace project and got the following in the "problems" tab.

Description Resource Path Location Type
The project was not built due to "Failed to init ct.sym for C:\Users\pfxrc\AppData\Local\Temp\eoiC6BD.tmp\plugins\org.eclipse.justj.openjdk.hotspot.jre.minimal.stripped.win32.x86_64_14.0.2.v20200815-0932\jre\lib\jrt-fs.jar". Fix the problem, then try refreshing this project and building it since it may be inconsistent SWTDemo Unknown Java Problem
Re: jrt-fs.jar problem with new install [message #1835939 is a reply to message #1834632] Wed, 16 December 2020 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil Freihofner is currently offline Phil FreihofnerFriend
I'm surprised you haven't gotten any replies. Did you manage to come up with a solution?

I had a related situation, perhaps, even though I'm not using WindowBuilder. I was receiving the same message for the first project built on a new Eclipse 2020-12 install. I was able to fix this as follows:

- I installed OpenJDK 15.0.1 on my system.

- In the Windows/Preferences/Java/Installed JREs, I added OpenJDK 15.0.1, and named it "openjdk-15.0.1". I then checked it, and unchecked the existing jre that was listed as being in subfolder of AppData\Local\Temp\...

- I started a new project, and made sure that for the JRE, I selected "Use default JRE 'openjdk-15.0.1' and workspace compiler preferences" and NOT "Use an execution environment JRE:" which appeared to still point to the JavaSE-15 that was installed into the AppData subfolder.

Before this, attempting to remedy the situation by selecting the newly installed "openjdk-15.0.1" as the library on the module path in the "Build Path Configuration" tool did NOT suffice to fix the problem. Despite refreshing, cleaning, closing and reopening Eclipse, the original project continued elicit the error concerning the apparently faulty JRE that ships with Eclipse. It was only after making an entirely new project specifying the newly installed JDK that I was able to get my program running.

Perhaps there is a way to reconfigure the reference to the faulty JRE for an existing project, but I don't know what that might be.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 December 2020 21:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: jrt-fs.jar problem with new install [message #1836041 is a reply to message #1835939] Fri, 18 December 2020 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Richardson is currently offline Paul RichardsonFriend
Thank you, Phil, I appreciate the effort. Unfortunately, my solution was to uninstall the Eclipse IDE and go with the IntelliJ platform.
Re: jrt-fs.jar problem with new install [message #1836045 is a reply to message #1836041] Fri, 18 December 2020 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil Freihofner is currently offline Phil FreihofnerFriend
Understood about the workaround.
Well, maybe this info will help others who have this problem. Your original post came up when I was searching for solutions, so I thought it good to have a solution present on the thread for the next person.
Re: jrt-fs.jar problem with new install [message #1838349 is a reply to message #1834632] Mon, 22 February 2021 17:59 Go to previous message
MD FS is currently offline MD FSFriend
Dude, I had the same problem. We didn`t install the required JRE. Reinstall the Eclipe IDE and make sure you selected and JRE appropriated version right before you initialize the installation.

In my machine it worked!
Previous Topic:Design Tab Not Showing Anything
Next Topic:WindowBuilder Update 1.9.5 202102231114 Failing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:11:25 GMT 2024