Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » ETL Standalone Demo
ETL Standalone Demo [message #1834631] Fri, 13 November 2020 19:03 Go to next message
Maximilian Schiedermeier is currently offline Maximilian SchiedermeierFriend
Dear epsilon community,

I hope this forum is the right place for my post - I currently can not think of a more suiting place so here we go...
As a (still) Epsilon newcomer I found it extremely hard to find a very simple ETL transformation demo, that would be straightforward to setup, intuitive to understand and run. Despite the many examples available in the official standalone demo repository.

What in particular took me a severe amount of time, was to not only understand the (unfortunately uncommented) code, but also understand what general transformation scenario it serves. Also I found it confusing that the example project contained code and metamodels, that to the best of my understanding are not used by the demo code. While searching online forums for answers, I gained the impression that I am not the only one facing these difficulties. (Don't get me wrong, I am sure Epsilon is a great tool - I just personally found it extremely challenging to get started in practice)

To keep things constructive: I ended up writing down the documentation that I personally would have found essentially helpful. Additionally I did my best to add the required configurations for a fully IDE-independent and generic and standalone build process. For anyone facing the same issues as me, I uploaded the outcome to github.

I hope this is ok from a license point of view, as it contains code from the original examples. (Please let me know if not, I will then of course take things down again.)

Regards,
Max

[Updated on: Tue, 24 November 2020 16:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ETL Standalone Demo [message #1834642 is a reply to message #1834631] Sat, 14 November 2020 11:34 Go to previous message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Max,

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble getting started with standalone ETL but it's good to know that you're up and running now, and many thanks for sharing your GitHub repo (which is absolutely fine licensing-wise)!

Thanks,
Dimitris
Previous Topic:how to read xmi:id field in EuGENia model file?
Next Topic:Installing epsilon IDE via P2 director
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:21:14 GMT 2024