Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » How to copy UML Objects keeping stereotypes(issue in keeping stereotypes when copying UML Elements)
How to copy UML Objects keeping stereotypes [message #1832876] Mon, 28 September 2020 12:57 Go to next message
Dylan Trenti is currently offline Dylan TrentiFriend
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to copy an UML Object (Class o Package) by keeping the stereotyes.
The first thing I tried was to copy the element by using the EcoreUtil.copy and I managed to copy classes or Packages but they where not keeping the stereotypes.
Then I tried something like this:

for (Stereotype s : classToCopy.getAppliedStereotypes()) {
newClass.applyStereotype(s);
}

by doing this way I managed to copy the class and apply all the stereotypes but there is still a problem, the informations about the values of their fields are gone.

For last I noticed that by copy-pasting an element form the UI everything was copied correctly so Taking a look into Papyrus source code I found the commands used to copy and paste elements,

org.eclipse.papyrus.views.modelexplorer.handler.CopyHandler;
org.eclipse.papyrus.views.modelexplorer.handler.PasteHandler;

but this isn't what I'm actually looking for since the copy/paste is done by using commands.

So here is my question:
Is there a way to Copy an UML element (Specifically Classes, Packages or Properties) keeping the stereotyes an the values associated to their fields??

thanks

Dylan
Re: How to copy UML Objects keeping stereotypes [message #1832877 is a reply to message #1832876] Mon, 28 September 2020 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Yes, but only by manually repairing the EcoreUtil 'oversights'.

NB. It not an EcoreUtil bug. It stems from an incompetent XMI design by OMG whereby stereotype applications are magic irregular inadequately modeled root objects unrelated to other model elements. Eclipse UML2 sadly followed the OMG stupidity all too faithfully with the result that many regular EMF-based modeling activities fail for Eclipse UML2. Many of thse deficiencies explain why an Eclipse UML2 project is needed. One might have hoped that a project whose aspiration was to just implement a model would find that EMF got it all right out of the box. Sadly not. Fixing OCL-based validation of these irregular objects is a comparatively recent innovation that has a nasty tendency to break when Papyrus evolves.

You can perhaps contribute to a UMLUtil.copier or maybe even find one in Papyrus ...

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: How to copy UML Objects keeping stereotypes [message #1833054 is a reply to message #1832877] Thu, 01 October 2020 12:19 Go to previous message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
You might have a look at the LazyCopier in Papyrus SW designer. It can copy subsets of models while keeping stereotypes.

See https://git.eclipse.org/c/papyrus/org.eclipse.papyrus-designer.git/tree/plugins/transformation/org.eclipse.papyrus.designer.transformation.core/src/org/eclipse/papyrus/designer/transformation/core/transformations
Previous Topic:How to add attributes of user defined type to a class
Next Topic:Could we export UML diagram to xml file in papyrus?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:52:15 GMT 2024