Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) » JavaScript popup box after typing a comma(JavaScript popup box after typing a comma)
JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832052] Mon, 07 September 2020 12:55 Go to next message
Stan Lambert is currently offline Stan LambertFriend
I am using Eclipse IDE for Enterprise Java Developers 2020-06.
I guess it is using JavaScript support from Eclipse Java Web Developer Tools v3.18.0. Every time I type a comma in the JavaScript editor an annoying yellow popup box is displayed and will not go away until I grab my mouse and click somewhere on the page. If I continue typing without grabbing the mouse and clicking somewhere the yellow box just stays there. It stays on top of whatever I am trying to type so I have no choice but to stop typing, grab my mouse, and click somewhere else on the page to make it go away.

The popup box says something to the effect of "(name:string, constructor:CustomElementConstructor, options?:ElementDefinitionOptions):void

I've attached an example.

I assume this is something that is supposed to help me. Instead it is slowing me down tremendously because it won't go away and I cannot find a way to prevent it. I have gone through all of the preferences and turned off everything I can think of for code assist and it still pops up every time I type a comma.

If anybody has a suggestion as to what I can change in my preferences to prevent this box from popping up I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Attachment: popup.png
    (Size: 2.47KB, Downloaded 102 times)
Re: JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832063 is a reply to message #1832052] Mon, 07 September 2020 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

In which editor did you open your file?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832086 is a reply to message #1832063] Tue, 08 September 2020 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess it is the "Text Editor". When I look at File Associations in Preferences I don't see an association for .js files. Under Content Types ->Text-JavaScript Source File the association for *.js files is Text Editor.
Re: JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832095 is a reply to message #1832086] Tue, 08 September 2020 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Right-click on the file and check it's Open With context menu, that show you
which editor you last used to open that specific file. The standard Text Editor
shouldn't have any info popups like that, and there is no explicitly named
"JavaScript Editor" in 2020-06.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai

[Updated on: Tue, 08 September 2020 18:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832129 is a reply to message #1832095] Wed, 09 September 2020 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The "Open With" defaults to "Generic Text Editor". I tried opening with "Text Editor" but it does not provide any color coding and the syntax validation does not work correctly for JavaScript. So I guess I will continue to use Generic Text Editor unless anyone has a suggestion for a good third party JavaScript plugin.
Re: JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832138 is a reply to message #1832129] Thu, 10 September 2020 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

And it's still happening in the Generic Text Editor?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832294 is a reply to message #1832138] Tue, 15 September 2020 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. But not consistently. One situation where it always happens is when I type a comma while adding properties to a JavaScript object. For example, if I create this:

[{
  property1: 'value1',
  property2: 'value2',
  property3:'value3
}]

I get the popup after every comma that I type.
Re: JavaScript popup box after typing a comma [message #1832326 is a reply to message #1832294] Wed, 16 September 2020 11:51 Go to previous message

That's pretty strange. The next thing to do would be to open an issue at https://github.com/eclipse/wildwebdeveloper/issues ; it provides the JavaScript editing functionality to the Generic Editor.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Previous Topic:Where are the preferences for formatting JavaScript files in Eclipse 2020-06?
Next Topic:JavaScript files opened in external browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:46:24 GMT 2024