Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Managing and collaborating with inter-project dependencies(Like MS Visual Studio "solutions")
Managing and collaborating with inter-project dependencies [message #1831490] Thu, 20 August 2020 17:18
Brendan McDonnell is currently offline Brendan McDonnellFriend
Using SiLabs Simplicity Studio v4 (based on CDT), I am looking to break a static library project into multiple projects, and it's not clear to me how to do so in a user-friendly, collaborative, and maintainable way.

Goals

1. Automatically build dependencies (e.g. "Target_A - Debug" build config of TestAppProj depends on "Targets_ABC - Debug" build config of LibProj, such that when I build that config of TestAppProj, it first builds the specified config of LibProj)
2. Import/open the collection of projects together into the IDE, as a group
3. Automatically display the projects grouped together in the IDE upon import
4. When projects are added to or removed from the group by a collaborator, then all those changes should be automatically visible to everyone in the IDE after updating from source control

This is all super easy in Visual Studio; that's what "solutions" are for. How are users supposed to achieve this with an Eclipse-based IDE?

Apparently I can setup [1] in project properties --> C/C++ General --> Paths and Symbols --> References tab. This seems satisfactory.

I think I can do [2] (clunkily) from More Import Options... --> General --> Existing Projects into Workspace, with the "Search for nested projects" option. (But this is something that I want to make not configurable. Importing/opening the specified group of projects should be atomic.)

I can manually (not automatically) setup [3] for myself only (not collaborators) using working sets, but that doesn't get captured in source control, i.e. it doesn't attempt to do [4].
Previous Topic:Problems with GDB with Eclipse for C/C++ on MacOS & Windows
Next Topic:Headless build issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:59:15 GMT 2024