Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Cross-cutting in EuGENia / diagram tab caption
Cross-cutting in EuGENia / diagram tab caption [message #1831360] Tue, 18 August 2020 06:56 Go to next message
Clever Alves is currently offline Clever AlvesFriend
Hi there!

Given that we can break down a diagram into subdiagrams in EuGENia, would there be any way of implementing general cross-cutting?

For example, how could I link an arrow/transition in a diagram to a pre-existing different diagram when double-clicking such an arrow?

I'd also like to know how I could link a diagram tab caption to the subdiagram it shows.

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

Clever.
Re: Cross-cutting in EuGENia / diagram tab caption [message #1831362 is a reply to message #1831360] Tue, 18 August 2020 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Clever,

Eugenia doesn't provide dedicated support for either of these. You'll probably need to modify/extend the generated GMF code to achieve these but that's about as much as I can help with this I'm afraid. I'd suggest posting a question to the GMF forum if you haven't done so already. Given that GMF Tooling is no longer actively maintained, my recommendation would be to also consider alternative options such as Sirius or Picto [1].

Thanks,
Dimitris

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/picto/
Re: Cross-cutting in EuGENia / diagram tab caption [message #1831385 is a reply to message #1831362] Tue, 18 August 2020 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your reply, Prof. Dimitris!

"Compared to existing graphical modelling frameworks such as Sirius and GMF/Eugenia, the main appeal of Picto is that model visualisation takes place in an embedded browser and therefore you can leverage any HTML/SVG/JavaScript-based technology such as D3.js, mxGraph and JointJS." => Picto's main appeal doesn't apply to my case...

"Picto displays read-only views of models and as such it is not a good fit if diagram-based model editing capabilities are required" => It sounds to limit my application...

I tried Sirius before EuGENia, and the latter proved to be much more effective and easier to use. Is EuGENia still up and running, i.e., counting on further development?

Regards,

Clever.

Re: Cross-cutting in EuGENia / diagram tab caption [message #1831410 is a reply to message #1831385] Wed, 19 August 2020 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Clever,

Eugenia is in maintenance mode at the moment. We're responding to queries and we'll keep fixing bugs but we have no plans to develop it further.

Thanks,
Dimitris
Re: Cross-cutting in EuGENia / diagram tab caption [message #1831442 is a reply to message #1831410] Wed, 19 August 2020 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
we have no plans to develop it further

This is really bad news, Prof. Dimitris! EuGENia is an amazing tool and counts on your great support!

In this case, migrating into Picto doesn't really sound like an option after all...In addition to the aforementioned URL, would you suggest other online resources for newbie developers?

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

Clever.
Re: Cross-cutting in EuGENia / diagram tab caption [message #1831451 is a reply to message #1831442] Thu, 20 August 2020 06:36 Go to previous message

Hi Clever,

Eugenia is quite feature-complete and with its support for polishing transformations [1] you can use it to implement any editor you can implement with pure GMF. Adding more features would be mostly a matter of encapsulating common polishing transformations into first-class annotations, which we haven't seen much demand for. Resource-wise, beyond the articles in [2], GitHub search returns more than 800 examples of Ecore metamodels annotated with Eugenia annotations [3] which you could use for inspiration.

Thanks,
Dimitris

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/articles/eugenia-polishing/
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/articles/#eugenia
[3] https://github.com/search?q=%22gmf.node%22+extension%3Aecore&type=Code
Previous Topic:import statement in EGL files (v2.1)
Next Topic:[EOL][ETL] Specify Target Model during runtime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:10:45 GMT 2024