Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Run button and Run Configurations>Run(Run button generates error message)
Run button and Run Configurations>Run [message #1829964] Tue, 14 July 2020 21:55 Go to next message
joseph newcomer is currently offline joseph newcomerFriend
I will try to send a sample of the output, but my colleague logged off Skype before I could ask him. But this pathology may be well-known. If it isn't, I will follow up later with the message.

When I want to run a configuration, I click the "run" button or the "debug" button and I am running or debugging.

When my colleague hits the "run" button, he gets three red lines of error message, something about the Java runtime. But, if he goes to Run>Run Configurations, opens it up, and clicks "Run" (or Run>Debug Configurations>Debug) it does exactly what we would expect the "run" and "debug" buttons to do. This is very clumsy, but neither of us have been able to figure out what he needs to do to get eclipse to do the Right Thing. If this is a well-known problem with a well-known solution, I would like to know what the solution is. I didn't see anything in the FAQs. We spent time looking at various configuration dialogs, screensharing his screen via Skype. We could find no differences in the options we were looking at. Which suggests that we were most likely looking at the wrong dialogs.

I realize that this is a vague description, and it would make more sense if I had those output lines. A badly-formed request for help. But this might be something that every new user hits and can be easily fixed. If not, be patient, we will be on again later this evening, and I will get those lines and add them here.
Re: Run button and Run Configurations>Run [message #1829974 is a reply to message #1829964] Wed, 15 July 2020 05:10 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The Run/Debug buttons are context sensitive so if, for example, you have an editor open on a *.java file with a main method, just hitting the Debug/Run button will try to run that class, rather than re-launch the last thing that you launched. This can be kind of confusing and sometimes annoying...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Source links in console
Next Topic:How to define a server with a Threadpool in jetty.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:15:28 GMT 2024