Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to setup C++ include in 2020-06?
How to setup C++ include in 2020-06? [message #1828945] Mon, 22 June 2020 21:17 Go to next message
Heng Yuan is currently offline Heng YuanFriend
I am a bit dumbfounded as I could not find the usual Path preference settings under C/C++ Generals or C/C++ Build.

Basically, since I am running WSL with ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I made a copy of the /usr/include to a separate directory. Then I tried to setup my project such that include could be loaded from this directory. This approach has worked well for me since I am mostly doing very portable stuff. I mainly use Eclipse for editing, and do the build in WSL.

However, with the latest 2020-06 CDT, I just do not find an option to specify the include path.

I googled a bit, https://help.eclipse.org/2020-06/index.jsp still has a link to "Path and Symbols page" under C/C++ Generals, but I just do not see this option at all.
Re: How to setup C++ include in 2020-06? [message #1828965 is a reply to message #1828945] Tue, 23 June 2020 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
It's there see below.
Are you using a plugin?
Some plugins modify the CDT menus.

index.php/fa/38401/0/
Re: How to setup C++ include in 2020-06? [message #1828996 is a reply to message #1828965] Tue, 23 June 2020 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the problem. I don't see the usual Paths and Symbols. It was a fresh download/install of 2020-06 without installing plugins.

The left side the project setting, and the right side the workspace setting.
https://i.ibb.co/1QqYDxC/eclipsecdt.png
high quality image upload
Re: How to setup C++ include in 2020-06? [message #1829016 is a reply to message #1828996] Wed, 24 June 2020 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
It's difficult to read your image but it appears to be a CMake project.
Paths and Symbols is really for generating makefiles.
Since CMake is doing that, Paths and Symbols becomes unnecessary.

Oddly though, Project --> Properties --> C/C++ General --> Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc. is also missing.
This is where the Indexer gets its search paths.
This is also missing in 2019-09 new CMake projects.

This may be a bug.

When generating a new Makefile project there is a new dialog
Project --> Properties --> C++ Include Paths and Symbols
which seems to fill the gap by providing user paths but doesn't have the scanner discovery providers.
It's not clear how one would change the compiler builtins, e.g.

Importing existing source as a Makefile project still produces
Project --> Properties --> C/C++ General --> Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc.
and Project --> Properties --> C/C++ General --> Paths and Symbols

You may have to let CMake generate your makefile then import it as a Makefile project.

Re: How to setup C++ include in 2020-06? [message #1829076 is a reply to message #1829016] Wed, 24 June 2020 18:37 Go to previous message
Thanks for the reply. If you click on the image, there will be a high / full resolution image. I did not include the screen shot in the very first post because of the posting restriction.

I tried to import the project, path and symbols now shows up. Although "Preprocessing Include Paths" is still missing, as you mentioned above. One of the issue here is that I edit in normal Eclipse on Windows, but the build is inside WSL. So the include paths are weird. With "Paths and Symbols" showing up, I could finally manually configure all the include paths. So at least now things are working. Thank you.

I also tried to look for synchronized C/C++ project, but it is not available. Searched update, not available either. It is odd because I just do not see how I can create a remote development project with 2020-06 CDT. I did setup Remote Development -> Remote Settings. However, I do not see anywhere where it could be used.
Previous Topic:problem in building arduino project with stm32 core based target selected
Next Topic:"Problem occurred" with Arduino plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:16:49 GMT 2024