Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Cannot "cut and paste " from "console".....(console )
Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822392] Thu, 05 March 2020 14:36 Go to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
This is beyond frustrating , but MAYBE there is an option SOMEWHERE.
I feel that Eclipse (2019-12) "developers AKA coders" need to reinvent themselves and IMPLEMENT such basic GUI "feature" as "cut and paste" or "select text" block and use plain Ctrl C / Ctrl V.

Why is such basic editing stuff NOT implemented ?

PS Don't tell me to post bug - it won't take "anonymous" and its too detailed for plain user.

Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822419 is a reply to message #1822392] Thu, 05 March 2020 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KCoder . is currently offline KCoder .Friend
That is just not possible, the console is where you would see syntax errors and print messages, from my knowledge so far. It would not make sense to able to edit syntax errors, would it? I'm having a bit of trouble too, but at least you have an answer.
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822427 is a reply to message #1822392] Thu, 05 March 2020 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What platform are you on? Have you verified on the Keys preference page that those are the correct keybindings for those commands?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822438 is a reply to message #1822392] Fri, 06 March 2020 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Quote:
Why is such basic editing stuff NOT implemented ?

I can ensure that text selection and copy/paste (both Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V and Ctrl+X/Ctrl+V) works as expected in Eclipse 2019-12's Java console. Cut/paste does not actually cut the text out of the console though, but that's the expected behavior.

Besides what KCoder asked you, could you tell us which console you're using (aka which language/application you run)? Different languages might use different implementations of the console.
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822461 is a reply to message #1822438] Sat, 07 March 2020 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for reply. appreciate that very much.
I do not understand what option / data / setup I should check.
I run C++ (CDT) on Linux and have never optioned anything on console -
with an exception of disastrous application of ANSI "color" plug-in.
( Long deleted )
Yes, I do know that "cut and paste " woudl be stupid / no purpose.
I have used it as an expression, hence in "" marks.

It would be very useful to be able to COPY a block of text from console to be able post it (PASTE) in forum for discussion purposes or to keep track in project log.
I use multiple consoles and that woudl help too in tracking / debugging.
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822462 is a reply to message #1822427] Sat, 07 March 2020 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will do - thanks for the reply. Appreciate that very much.
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822464 is a reply to message #1822419] Sat, 07 March 2020 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Small addendum.
I can select block of console text -using mouse.
I get a menu - but it does not include "copy" .
I my view that is incomplete / half baked "option" of basic IDE.
Why do I have to look if I am missing some option ?
Google it ?
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822466 is a reply to message #1822464] Sat, 07 March 2020 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK
I checked in Preferences -> Keys ->Copy

Ctrl C in dialogues and window copy to clipboard edit

With undefined , as normal , icon attached.

So what is so special about "console" - in MS terminology it is Window -> View . Isn't?

BTW - similar post been posted in 2005 !
FYI today ins 2020.

Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822480 is a reply to message #1822466] Sun, 08 March 2020 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
As mentioned previously, the works in the Java console. If it doesn't work on some other console, it would be good to be clear on exactly which console it doesn't work. I see in a C/C++ IDE that there is a C/C++ Build Console and also a Command Shell Console, neither of which I see in my Java IDE. So if it's one of these consoles specific to C/C++ it's likely better to ask on the CDT forum.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822483 is a reply to message #1822480] Sun, 08 March 2020 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, there is "CDT Build Console" and it has a "copy" menu option.
I see total of 4 console types and "CDT Build Console" is the only one with "copy" menu I have checked - and it works .
The one I am interested in does not have particular designation by Eclipse - BUT it is a destination for standard C/C++ (stdio) cout / cerr files .
I am using it both "local " cout /cerr AND TFC "(remote)terminal ". That is what TCF calls it.
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1822485 is a reply to message #1822483] Sun, 08 March 2020 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
For me there is a menu with cut/copy/paste when I run an executable with CDT:
index.php/fa/37537/0/

Maybe a picture will help clarify the issue, though likely it's an issue specific to CDT and then the CDT forum would be a good place to ask.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Cannot "cut and paste " from "console"..... [message #1848317 is a reply to message #1822485] Sun, 28 November 2021 01:06 Go to previous message
Joël DRIGO is currently offline Joël DRIGOFriend
Hello,

Maybe it will help some people who have problems copying the Eclipse console:

I couldn't paste text that I had selected in the console and copied (either through shortcuts or menus). Or sometimes I had only a part of the text pasted. I realized that the text I was printing in console was built in my code from a badly initialized char array (containing only 0's). Translation: the invisible characters cannot be copied. They even stop the copy of other following selected characters.
It also works like this because the preference of my console "Interpret ASCII control characters" is unchecked.

Small demonstration example (in Java):

public static void main(String[] args) {

char[] array = new char[10]; // new char array, so filled with 0
java.util.Arrays.fill(array, 1, array.length-1, 'x'); // I fill all characters with an x, except the first and the last, which stay to 0.

System.out.println( new String(array) );
char[] array = new char[10];
Arrays.fill(array, 0, array.length, 'x'); // fill the array with 'x'
array[1]=(char)0x005C0000; // then set the 2nd char to null char (the same if I set with 0)
array[array.length-2]=(char)0x005C0000; // then set the 2nd to last char to null.

System.out.println( new String(array) );

}

The console shows "x xxxxx x". CTRL-A (all is selected), CTRL-C then CTRL-V: I get only x.

If I check the preference "Interpret ASCII control characters", the console shows "xxxxxxx" and can be copied and pasted.
Previous Topic:Unable to Find fg_runs in the Gradle Tasks Tab
Next Topic:ECLIPSE : FOR COLDFUSION
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:06:07 GMT 2024