Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Implementing call graph (call hierarchy start , Java error )
Implementing call graph [message #1821770] Wed, 19 February 2020 21:36 Go to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
YAA - yet another addendum
Tried simple "add new software"
by typing in "call graph"
produced few entries.

I have got burned in past selecting them all, they slow down Eclipse IDE load and are a pain to delete.

So - which one of suggested is the real McCoy to start with to get call graph to work ?

PS
I have read "Eclipse market place" about call graph - it looks as "Eclipse foundation" is unable to tell user if "call graph" is for Java coding or C/C++ !!!!

Why is there "Eclipse IDE is Java application " confused with "Eclipse IDE CDT" is FOR developing C/C++ application?.

Addendum / rewrite

OK , I better be explicit here.

To be clear - I do not post just to waste my time.
I need "action" and do not mind waiting for one.

I like to utilize call graph "feature" . Period.

So far all I am getting is this "Java error " - see attached.
Never mid it does not "Show the error log" - been there and don't need repeat
instruction on how to read the log.

Would it be possible for somebody interested in using this feature to discuss it?
I can RTFM , but real discussion would be nice.

I like to find out if I am "doing / using it wrong" or it DOES NOT WORK in 2019-12 in Linux.

Cheers

This is as cryptic instruction as they come.
(there is updated documentation , but the form "selection " text is ancient.)
See attached screen shot.

Select from where ?
Select how ? - drag and drop (would be nice ) ??

I have the plug-in installed and proper perspective activated.

Found Project->Profiling Tools -> 4 Function callgraph
after selecting my project received dreaded "Java error "...

It sure looks as mouse click on project is not doing the job.
Next time, after reload, I'll try typing it in.
This form does not give good feel about selecting the project...

[Updated on: Fri, 21 February 2020 04:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Implementing call graph [message #1821900 is a reply to message #1821770] Fri, 21 February 2020 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

A screenshot of the error message dialog, without the stack trace, barely tells any information. The button for showing details or pulling the relevant trace from the Error Log would be the start of investigating it. If the link to show the error log fails, it's located under your workspace directory, in the ".metadata" folder, as the file named ".log".

The dialog shown in Screenshot from 2020-02-20 22-23-50.png searches by feature names and descriptions, so unless "call graph" is in there or in its own Feature, I wouldn't expect a match. In which perspective does it appear by default? When installed, under what category is it offered? If you read about something somewhere, or are referring to one or more Marketplace entries, tell us where and which ones. We're basically playing the "telephone" game otherwise and your frustration will not be alleviated.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Fri, 21 February 2020 22:02]

Re: Implementing call graph [message #1822002 is a reply to message #1821900] Tue, 25 February 2020 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
This may be naive from me, but I am not qualified to muddle thru pages and pages of error log just to gain understanding why I cannot make " graph view" work.
As originally posited - the instruction are so vague and I woudl actually go on the limb to say they are for some old Eclipse and have not been updated for 2019-12 . Normal stuff.
At this point I will restate
1. Is "Call Graph " actually working in 2019-12 ?
2. "Call hierarchy" does work and has a menu access how to use it.
3. Where is "Call Graph" menu ?
4. How do I verify installation of "Call Graph" plug in?
It is now "greyed out" , apparently I have uninstalled some parts of it.
I like to reinstall JUST "Call Graph ".

Re: Implementing call graph [message #1822022 is a reply to message #1822002] Wed, 26 February 2020 01:03 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

I'll ask you again, if you are referring to one or more Marketplace entries, tell us where and which ones. If it was installed from an Update Site, tell us which one and what you selected to install. I'm not asking you to comb through the error log, just to share it.

If someone wanted to retrace your steps and reproduce the problem themselves, there's not enough specifics here to do it.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Wed, 26 February 2020 01:04]

Previous Topic:cc1plus.exe error: failure to convert cp932 to utf-8.
Next Topic:Lost "autocompletion" ...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:27:58 GMT 2024