Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Mark code blocks in different colours ?
Mark code blocks in different colours ? [message #1821540] Fri, 14 February 2020 11:34 Go to next message
Marco Jahn is currently offline Marco JahnFriend

Hello,
I have been learning Java and using Eclipse for 4 months. Of course I have tried other IDE, but I still prefer Eclipse.
What I noticed: Programs like "BlueJ" or "Visual Studio Code" show by colored markers or sideways strokes how far a program block (e.g. a loop, a constructor, a method declaration etc.) reaches. Is there a plugin to set up something like this in Eclipse ?
Re: Mark code blocks in different colours ? [message #1821823 is a reply to message #1821540] Thu, 20 February 2020 15:57 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Eclipse JDT has the following built-in support:
- Selecting either opening or closing brace will highlight the matching brace, so you'll see beginning and end of the block.
- Press Shift+Alt+Up (Select Enclosing Element), you may need to press it several times to see larger blocks.
- In properly formatted sources, the indentation level should give a most useful visual clue for block structure (do you use auto formatting?)

There could be more ...

If you look for something fancier, you might be interested in trying the EditBox plugin (http://editbox.sourceforge.net/), but I'm not sure this is still maintained / works with recent versions. Their market place entry looks somewhat recent: https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/editbox
Previous Topic:How to install Plugin in eclipse effectively
Next Topic:Maven not working with proxy in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:28:12 GMT 2024