Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Upgrade to 2019-12 and lost the launcher(Lost the launcher during an upgrade to 2019-12)
Upgrade to 2019-12 and lost the launcher [message #1820875] Thu, 30 January 2020 22:28 Go to next message
Rb Rangr is currently offline Rb RangrFriend
I'm curious, how can I rebuild or recreate the launcher icon on windows? It also looks like the eclipse.exe program is missing.

I upgraded from 2018-09 to 2019-12 (running the x86_64 versions) through the in program upgrade option (added the 2019-12 repository location) as found on this page:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_upgrade_Eclipse_IDE%3F

In the application directory there is a program named eclipsec.exe, but not the expected eclipse.exe. Usually it is the later object that has the icon too.

Also when I double click on the eclipsec.exe it does launch eclipse, but it opens a console window too? How can that be disabled? There are too many windows open at times so that will only get in the way.

I'm assuming that the "correct" way to launch eclipse is with eclipse.exe. Right?

I should note, that after performing the upgrade, everything within my workspace was lost and I had to re-import everything, thus losing all the server configs and project configs. But then after rebooting the computer, everything returned to how it was before the upgrade (the projects, servers, configs) but with the 2019-12 application. Something was odd.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm almost thinking upgrades are a bad thing, and I may need to do a clean install just to grab and copy-n-paste the eclipse.exe program?

Thanks for any and all help!
Blue
Re: Upgrade to 2019-12 and lost the launcher [message #1820888 is a reply to message #1820875] Fri, 31 January 2020 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Hmmm, I've seen before that the application *.exe disappears after an update. That should never happen but it seems to be a very rare occurrence nevertheless... But it's impossible to reproduce so the cause is not known.

Yes, the eclipsec.exe is supposed to bring up a console (so there is no way to disable that) while the eclipse.exe is not supposed to do that...

And yes, the only way to fix this now is to get the eclipse.exe from a 2019-12 version of Eclipse, i.e., from downloading one of the zips from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/ and extracting it.

And upgrade should not destroy/incapacitate an older existing workspace, but once you open that workspace with a newer version of Eclipse it may not longer function with an older one.

It's always useful to look at the Error Log view (or at the <workspace>/.metadata/.log file for clues about what might have gone wrong during startup and during initialization of the workspace.

Sorry for the problems you encountered with this. It sounds like an annoying waste of time. :-(

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Upgrade to 2019-12 and lost the launcher [message #1820919 is a reply to message #1820888] Fri, 31 January 2020 17:01 Go to previous message
Rb Rangr is currently offline Rb RangrFriend
I was able to pull an eclipse.exe from a new install and copied it over to that directory, so that did resolve the issues. Oh yes, that makes sense "C" for console in eclipsec.exe.

I guess there are just so many moving parts that something is bound to cause issues once in a while.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Blue
Previous Topic:Building .a ARM library - gconv error
Next Topic: Eclipse Community Forums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:39:20 GMT 2024