Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » Are Sirius and EMF Forms mutually exclusive?
Are Sirius and EMF Forms mutually exclusive? [message #1818937] Fri, 03 January 2020 05:28 Go to next message
Clever Alves is currently offline Clever AlvesFriend
Hello!

I'd appreciate if someone could comment on using both Sirius and EMF Forms in the same application.

Regards,

Clever.
Re: Are Sirius and EMF Forms mutually exclusive? [message #1819077 is a reply to message #1818937] Tue, 07 January 2020 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas HelmingFriend
Hi,

EMF Forms requires access to an EMF Object and a SWT composite to render on, that is basically it. So I do not think there should be any trouble in using EMF Forms and Sirius in combination.

Best regards,
Jonas

--
Jonas Helming
Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: Are Sirius and EMF Forms mutually exclusive? [message #1819155 is a reply to message #1819077] Thu, 09 January 2020 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your reply, Jonas!

There may be a problem with my question...I meant are Sirius and EMF Forms redundant?

They both seem to help when one deals with many instances (say, many family members or many projects, tasks and collaborators) of the Ecore diagram's classes: Sirius represents the instances in a more graphical way, while EMF Forms does the same in a more textual way, is that it?

Regards,

Clever.
Re: Are Sirius and EMF Forms mutually exclusive? [message #1819164 is a reply to message #1819155] Thu, 09 January 2020 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

EMF Forms represents them in a form-based way. If you look at things at this very high level, both frameworks help you to represent data in a UI, yes.
However, while one is focussed on diagrams and the other one on forms, I would actually not call them redundant. These two ways of representting data are pretty different at the end, aren't they?

Best regards,
Jonas

--
Jonas Helming
Re: Are Sirius and EMF Forms mutually exclusive? [message #1819319 is a reply to message #1819164] Mon, 13 January 2020 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your reply, Jonas!

Quote:
These two ways of representting data are pretty different at the end, aren't they?

Absolutely!

In this sense, how do EMF Forms represent the sort of information we find, say, in UML's sequence and activity diagrams, i.e., behaviour? I've been using Ecore model's annotations to mime behaviour, would you have been involved in any similar situation: Using EMF Forms to represent method implementation, rather than just attributes and structural relations?

Regards,

Clever.
Re: Are Sirius and EMF Forms mutually exclusive? [message #1819437 is a reply to message #1819319] Wed, 15 January 2020 11:20 Go to previous message
No directly, but EMF Forms has a flexible rendering structure, so you can basically show in the forms whatever you like.

--
Jonas Helming
Previous Topic:TreeMasterDetail view
Next Topic:Generate actor system from an EMF meta-model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:43:39 GMT 2024