Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Pointers request for string-based microformat in DSL
Pointers request for string-based microformat in DSL [message #1817054] Thu, 14 November 2019 18:27 Go to next message
Savas Parastatidis is currently offline Savas ParastatidisFriend
Hi all,

I am new to xtext. I am looking for pointers to information about how to break down strings in my DSL within some context. I searched the Web but the closest I found was the templates-related grammar in Xtend. Unfortunately, I am trying to achieve something slightly different and I was unable to adapt the xtend grammar.

Here's a description of what I am trying to do...

// The argument is an ordinary string
call("i am an ordinary string")

// In the context of 'foo', the string takes special meaning
foo("I am a string with some {special parts | annotation variable} indicated by special characters").

In the context of foo, I'd like to extract "special parts", "annotation", and "variable".

// There can be multiple of these in a string
foor("Multiples { 1 | Int one} and { 2 | Double two } and { arbitrary text | String str}")

Should I be looking at writing some code?

Antlr has "modes" that allowed me to do this. What would be the equivalent for xtext?

I tried few things but, unfortunately, i keep getting ambiguity because of STRING. Even if I remove the dependency on Terminals, I get ambiguity with ID, which I need. The part that trips me is the text just after "{". Since it can be any arbitrary text and I have no special characters around it, the terminal for that part conflicts with ID.

Is there a write up about the strategy that I should follow?

Thank you,
.savas.
Re: Pointers request for string-based microformat in DSL [message #1817099 is a reply to message #1817054] Fri, 15 November 2019 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tamas Miklossy is currently offline Tamas MiklossyFriend
You can define a custom lexer based on the ANTLR modes and use that in your Xtext workflow. An examole can be found here:

https://github.com/eclipse/gef/blob/master/org.eclipse.gef.dot/src/org/eclipse/gef/dot/internal/language/GenerateDot.mwe2#L119
Re: Pointers request for string-based microformat in DSL [message #1817159 is a reply to message #1817099] Sat, 16 November 2019 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you. I'll give it a try.
Re: Pointers request for string-based microformat in DSL [message #1817232 is a reply to message #1817159] Mon, 18 November 2019 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It seems that I need to find examples for xtext 2.9 and above. I get a deprecation notification when I use org.eclipse.xtext.generator.adapter.FragmentAdapter. I am encouraged to use the "new generator infrastructure". Where can I get more information of how to use a custom lexer using the new generator infrastructure? I went through the xtext documentation online but couldn't find anything relevant.

thanks!
Re: Pointers request for string-based microformat in DSL [message #1817235 is a reply to message #1817232] Mon, 18 November 2019 19:27 Go to previous message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
we are in work to provide an external lexer fragment that works with the new generator. if you dont want to wait you can c&p from here
https://github.com/eclipse/xtext-core/pull/1287/files

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Previous Topic:Resolving JvmTypes in tests and standalone environments
Next Topic:Creating Serializer for different DSL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:44:35 GMT 2024