Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Collating Reports
Collating Reports [message #1816524] Wed, 30 October 2019 13:59 Go to next message
andy rush is currently offline andy rushFriend
In my job, i am the "owner" of a reporting app based on the BIRT ReportEngine API. The app allows users to report on data from a number of customer sites. Currently the user can report on any number of sites but, if multiple sites are selected, the data is aggregated into one report. I have been asked to modify this to allow the option of viewing the data either in aggregate or collated by site.

I did some research and didn't find an out of the box solution for this requirement. As a result, i'm thinking that the proper approach for handling this is to write a custom emitter.

So now, my question. Am i on the right track with a custom emitter or is there another, less involved, way to accomplish this?
Re: Collating Reports [message #1816586 is a reply to message #1816524] Thu, 31 October 2019 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Sutton is currently offline Colin SuttonFriend
The report could have two tables each formatted in one of the two formats, and set the visibility on each table according to a parameter.
Re: Collating Reports [message #1821048 is a reply to message #1816524] Tue, 04 February 2020 20:14 Go to previous message
andy rush is currently offline andy rushFriend
I think i might not have explained my use case clearly enough.

Let's say i have a .rptdesign that generates using a query like

SELECT * FROM foo JOIN bar ON foo.id = bar.foo_id where foo.site in ?

The report runs in an application wrapped around the ReportEngine that can, among other features, export the report as a PDF for printing (ugh, i know, printing...). Currently the application renders reports as a single table with aggregate data for all selected sites.

Our users have requested an enhancement -- the ability to submit a list of sites and out a single report file that has as many tables as selected sites. Essentially, the output should appear as if the above query ran once for each selected site and extracted the tables into a single file. Is there a straightforward way to accomplish this?

And, yes, i know it's a lot to ask from the community of an essentially dead project.
Previous Topic:4.9 BIRT does not run
Next Topic:Value Inside Bar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:01:52 GMT 2024