Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Project seemingly lost
Project seemingly lost [message #1816394] Tue, 29 October 2019 00:38 Go to next message
Fred Sears is currently offline Fred SearsFriend
My project has gone missing. I'm not sure if what I did is a bug, or is something that is reversible. I don't have a backup to restore, however it's not that big of a deal as I have only been learning Java for the last 5 days, but if there is a way to reverse what I did, it would be helpful. So here is what I did:
I was trying to use json-simple in my project. I tried following the directions to configure the build path and add the .jar, however it didn't seem to work. So I clicked on migrate JAR file thinking maybe I had to migrate it into my project. I browsed to the json-simple.jar file which was in my project directory and hit finish. Then poof, my project was gone from Eclipse, and also from my computer. No trace of it anywhere, not even in the trash. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Re: Project seemingly lost [message #1816435 is a reply to message #1816394] Tue, 29 October 2019 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
You need at least an existing project to select and right-click "Restore from Local History ..."

Here's what help says about "Migrate JAR file" (https://help.eclipse.org/2019-09/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/reference/ref-properties-build-path.htm?cp=1_4_10_0_0_0) :

Quote:
Migrate JAR File
Migrate a JAR on the build path to a newer version. If the newer version contains refactoring scripts the refactoring stored in the script will be executed.

I neither see how it would help your task, nor how it would destroy a project.
Re: Project seemingly lost [message #1816444 is a reply to message #1816435] Tue, 29 October 2019 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
HI

Often it is not lost, just not where you expect it. It could be in your home directory, an Eclipse workspace, an Eclipse installation directory, a GIT repo, may be even in .metadata. If it's worth the effort, search the disks. Or do the same thing again and monitor directories very carefully.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Project seemingly lost [message #1816446 is a reply to message #1816444] Tue, 29 October 2019 14:44 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
One more: when Package Explorer is showing Working Sets as the toplevel element, it may happen that the workingset containing your project is filtered / invisible. Check the Package Explorers menu > Configure Workingsets...
Previous Topic:Eclipse - Resource already exists
Next Topic:Create Java Project programmatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:32:01 GMT 2024