Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Model-to-Model Transformation » Own Model to XML(Create and use model to parse text file and generate xml file)
Own Model to XML [message #1810615] Wed, 14 August 2019 11:23 Go to next message
Gueraud Houades is currently offline Gueraud HouadesFriend
Hello Team,

I'm a fresher with M2M and M2T transformation and I try to understand it but it seems very complex. I am sure you will be able to support me on this topic :)

First of all, I already searched for some information but it is definitely not clear for me. I don't understand how to apply it to my constraint.

I want to use M2M (or M2T) transformation with my own model as input. I already performed some transformations from Excel to Text/Excel, but the metamodel for Excel was already present, and in my case I want to interpret a different file and then I need my own metamodel.

Please find an example of my text file to be parsed in attachment.

Then, I want to create a metamodel to describe my file and be able to parse it automatically and then use it in a transformation.

Can you please help me ? If you can give me some links to understand how to generate my own model describing my file (attachment) and to use it in qvto as a database (ecore I assume) to generate my output file ?

Re: Own Model to XML [message #1810629 is a reply to message #1810615] Wed, 14 August 2019 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Your strange terminology and statement that Excel has a metamodel makes me deeply suspicious that this is a spoof message that I should not waste time replying to....

However you will not get far without learning to use Ecore so I suggest creating an Ecore metamodel and associated editor by following an Ecore tutorial, then study the QVTo SimpleRDBMS to RDB example.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Own Model to XML [message #1810747 is a reply to message #1810629] Mon, 19 August 2019 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gueraud Houades is currently offline Gueraud HouadesFriend
Hello,

Unfortunately, my message is real ... I don't understand your reaction but anyway, we are using excel sheet as a model usable in M2M and M2T transformation.
A lot of internal documents are in excel so somebody in my team created a complete model (including ecore) to parse and generate excel documents.

Don't you have any other information regarding this technology ? To generate a model I can use in M2M ?

Best Regards
Re: Own Model to XML [message #1810761 is a reply to message #1810747] Mon, 19 August 2019 11:25 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

There is a lot of information available for those prepared to Google. In particular there is the rather vintage Gronback book: https://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Modeling-Project-Domain-Specific-Language/dp/0321534077

Each tool provides its own documentation and tutorials.

For just Ecore / EMF there is the also vintage EMF book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EMF-Eclipse-Modeling-Framework-Addison-Wesley/dp/0321331885/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

If you really want to work with spreadsheets, have a look at Epsilon for which research papers describe spreadsheet transformations.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:What Industry Wants from Academia in Software Modeling
Next Topic:Model-To-Model Sibling Child Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:26:26 GMT 2024