Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Unable to launch Eclipse in Ubuntu(Eclipse cannot be launched in Ubuntu. I found the same error reported by others.. )
Unable to launch Eclipse in Ubuntu [message #1806003] Tue, 30 April 2019 10:36 Go to next message
Emil Oanta is currently offline Emil OantaFriend
Dear All,

I started working with Eclipse 16 years ago and I used it for Java and C++ software development in Windows OS.
I also used MinGW, NotePad++ and GNU Octave because they are cross-platform.
Four months ago I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, so I work in two operating systems using the aforementioned software applications. Each time I solved a problem I wrote a 'How to ...' text file in order to keep track of my activity and to have a 'recipe', just in case.
I was working on updating the C++ applications in order to be also used in Ubuntu, to develop cross-platform software. The large number of header files is useful to quickly develop computer assisted hybrid models (engineering, economics and others), i.e. dedicated solvers, scientific visualization applications and data interfaces.
Yesterday Eclipse (Ubuntu) suddenly reported that it cannot handle C++ files and asked me to select and outer editor for the source files. The error was persistent, therefore I decided to re-install Eclipse.
I removed everything and I installed Eclipse from the Ubuntu Developer Tools, as I did before.
The results was a disaster! The error is:

!SESSION Tue Apr 30 15:07:45 EEST 2019 -----------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2019-04-30 15:07:45.733
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:471)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:588)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:626)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)

Several similar errors were reported, without any solution, so far:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54486396/error-when-starting-eclipse-from-favorites-toolbar-java-lang-classnotfoundexcept#

https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=2039146

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031171/eclipse-doesnt-start-on-ubuntu-18-04

I removed and re-install Eclipse several times using various methods but the error is the same.
I still want to use Eclipse in my projects, because I consider it is a reliable IDE. However, now I am under presser to complete a project and I don't like to search for alternatives to Eclipse.

Any idea is welcome!

Thank you,

Emil

Re: Unable to launch Eclipse in Ubuntu [message #1806035 is a reply to message #1806003] Wed, 01 May 2019 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You should install the Eclipse version you get from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ because if you get it from somewhere else, e.g., Ubuntu Developer Tools, then I have no idea which version you have. Furthermore it sounds like it's an older version that don't work with Java 9 or higher which is a known issue with older versions of Eclipse.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Unable to launch Eclipse in Ubuntu [message #1806329 is a reply to message #1806035] Tue, 07 May 2019 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
When Eclipse crashes itself or when I write software that asks the computer to do something impossible and/or harmful, it is rather astounding how far the knock-on effects can go on. I think that reinstalling Eclipse from the official site is the right way to go, but before you do that I think it would be helpful to make sure that your system is free of all old Eclipse traces. and also run whatever software is available to you to check your file system and other system attributes to assure that there are no sunken logs in those waters./
Re: Unable to launch Eclipse in desktop icon [message #1815999 is a reply to message #1806003] Wed, 16 October 2019 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
megala m is currently offline megala mFriend
!SESSION Wed Oct 16 23:04:11 IST 2019 ------------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2019-10-16 23:04:11.772
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:657)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:597)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1468)

resolved this issue by starting my eclipse with "Run as Administor:"
Re: Unable to launch Eclipse in desktop icon [message #1828530 is a reply to message #1815999] Thu, 11 June 2020 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beula Mohandas is currently offline Beula MohandasFriend
Even Run as Administrator didn't work. Is there any other solution. Same error log is generated even after running as administaror
Re: Unable to launch Eclipse in desktop icon [message #1828531 is a reply to message #1828530] Thu, 11 June 2020 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

We don't know what your error log output was. But are you running a version of Eclipse of roughly the same release date as your version of Java?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Unable to launch Eclipse in desktop icon [message #1828620 is a reply to message #1828531] Mon, 15 June 2020 10:18 Go to previous message
Veros Muhamed is currently offline Veros MuhamedFriend
thank you for this thread, helped me a bit.
Previous Topic:SCALA and BUCKMINISTER plugins are not available for latest version of eclipse?
Next Topic:Generally bad performance with Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:48:24 GMT 2024