Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Moving folders like .eclipse from the user profile
Moving folders like .eclipse from the user profile [message #1805716] Mon, 22 April 2019 15:07 Go to next message
Jonas Henneke is currently offline Jonas HennekeFriend
Sorry, I have no idea where to open this topic.

Hello,

I need to move and save the eclipse folders from my user profile to an other destination. Because it's a company notebook, I have a limited user profile storage.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks
Re: Moving folders like .eclipse from the user profile [message #1805740 is a reply to message #1805716] Tue, 23 April 2019 04:05 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Well, some parts have hard coded using <user-home>/.eclipse as a place to store data shared by all Eclipse installations, so they can only be convinced to store it elsewhere with a -Duser.home=<some-other-location>. But generally what's stored in <user-home>/.eclipse is pretty small, except when its used to store you extensions of some read-only shared Eclipse installation, in which case .eclipse will contain surrogate profiles, but in that case you can use one of the run time options:

https://help.eclipse.org/2019-03/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html

I'm not sure which one though, maybe -user.

Any of these options can be put in your eclipse.ini.

If you are using the installer, you should choose (via the Bundle Pools... menu in the upper right) a disk location where the shared bundle pool is located. I, for example, make sure to put this on my much larger D: drive. And of course when you create an installation, you can choose where it is installed and when you launch an installation you can choose where the workspace is located.

So you should be able to control where the bulk of the disk footprint is located.

Note that it's not generally a good idea to move installations or workspaces once you've created or used them. Better to create new installations and better to create new workspaces and import projects from the old one before you delete it.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Building Workspace Problem
Next Topic:Java for Windows Missing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:39:22 GMT 2024