Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Necromancing the org.eclipse.amalgan.setup
Necromancing the org.eclipse.amalgan.setup [message #1805519] Tue, 16 April 2019 15:28 Go to next message
Felix Dorner is currently offline Felix DornerFriend
Hi,

I will need to work on the eclipse amalgam project, and well, I start to refuse to work on anything that doesn't have a proper automated setup.

Amalgam setup last changes date to 2015, so I will have to fix it before I can start working. The last person who made changes to that setup is a certain Ed Merks, maybe he is monitoring this forum? :P

My first question is rather simple. In your commit you added:

+ <targlet
+ name="Amalgamation"
+ activeRepositoryList="${eclipse.target.platform}">
+ <requirement
+ name="*"/>
+ <requirement

What is the "*" requirement used for? I haven't seen this before in other targlet definitions.

Thanks,
Felix
Re: Necromancing the org.eclipse.amalgan.setup [message #1805527 is a reply to message #1805519] Tue, 16 April 2019 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The wildcard requirements are generally very useful when the tarlget contains a source locator. Oomph is able to induce a p2 repository from a Git repository (a source folder in the file system). A wildcard requirement effectively expands to requirements on all the installable units in each such induced p2 repository. So it's essentially say, "require everything" and of course recursively this will attempt to satisfy all the requirements of those installable units. So generally this is used to import all projects from a Git clone and to resolve all their requirements.
Re: Necromancing the org.eclipse.amalgan.setup [message #1805530 is a reply to message #1805527] Tue, 16 April 2019 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Felix Dorner is currently offline Felix DornerFriend
I see, very nice. This is much easier than having to track all the available 'root' features in the repo and list them one by one as a requirement.
Re: Necromancing the org.eclipse.amalgan.setup [message #1805537 is a reply to message #1805530] Wed, 17 April 2019 04:13 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Indeed, when I was implementing the support to drag and drop a Git repo onto a targlets task, it struck me that this same processing logic could be done automatically at resolution time... Note that at this point we also supported additional types of installable units, i.e., *.plain.project so one can require folders that have a .project file but aren't otherwise a plug-in or a feature. Another way to see this induced p2 repository in action is to drag and drop a Git repository (from the Git Repositories view) onto the Repository Explorer view's URL drop down.
Previous Topic:Missing requirement: 1.0.0.v1555157849834
Next Topic:Authorization in Eclipse Installer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 19:41:39 GMT 2019