Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute (project build )
Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute [message #1801772] Sat, 26 January 2019 02:37 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
I have transferred a C++ project from older Eclipse release to Eclipse 2018-09. .
It compiles / links just fine, but it will not execute.
Using Run as _>Configuration->... which runs perfect in older release just keeps "rebuilding" and never executes.
Using different / clean project copy but in same workspace as the older release.
I understand using same workspace used to be an issue.
But I do not get any errors or warnings indicating that I have to run from a different / separate 2018-09 workspace.

Any clue what I missed and HOW to fix this ?

[Updated on: Sat, 26 January 2019 02:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute [message #1801788 is a reply to message #1801772] Sat, 26 January 2019 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I've tried this in 2018-12
It was necessary to build the program once
because the run configuration was getting an error (binary not found).
Once it was built, I could select the main program in the editor then
Run As --> Local C/C++ Application would run the program.

I could also select the project from Project Explorer --> <project> --> Run As --> Run Configurations ...
but needed to select a Run/Debug configuration that pointed to the program.

It didn't try to rebuild the program.
The build consoles for the project where empty.

I tried this with projects contained entirely within the workspace
and external to the workspace with identical results.

Perhaps 2018-09 has a problem.
You could try upgrading to 2018-12.
Re: Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute [message #1801797 is a reply to message #1801788] Sun, 27 January 2019 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Downloaded fresh 2018-12 , same issue .
Here is the sequence of events.
I do "Build project", no problem.
I do "Run configurations" and select "Application " tab and then do "Search" for current project, no problem.
Then I select "Run" , and it compiles AGAIN.
When I go back do "Run configurations " I get ""Program does not exist" and the "Run" button is grayed out.
That is a first indicator something is amiss.
Second , and it should be , If I select "Application " tab and then do "Search" for current project it is NOT in among the options.
Which just confirms the first indicator.
I still think it has something to do with Eclipse 2018-12 using / referencing same workspace as Oxygen.
The Oxygen project really did not get imported into new 2018-12 workspace.
I'll try to copy the project from Oxygen to 2018_12 workspace next, but not sure if I get all project configuration ( includes ) by doing copy.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 January 2019 04:34]

Re: Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute [message #1801802 is a reply to message #1801797] Sun, 27 January 2019 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
If it built without a problem it should be around somewhere.
Try searching for it then give it to a run configuration.
"Run" doesn't try to build in my installation but instead complains that the executable is missing.
But then I have auto-build disabled.

I separate my workspaces by Eclipse version.
I first completely copy them (there are hidden files, at least in Linux).
2018-12 wanted to convert my Photon workspaces and did.
I assume earlier ones should be converted also.

You could try making a new workspace to see if the problem persists.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 January 2019 07:09]

Re: Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute [message #1801808 is a reply to message #1801802] Sun, 27 January 2019 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
It sounds like Eclipse isn't to recognize the binary that you are building. Make sure that you have the tool chain support plugin installed for the tool chain you are using to build your project. Eclipse can't recognize the binary to run if it doesn't have the tool chain support installed. The tool chain support parses the output of the build to identify what is actually built.

Note that your description of the steps you are taking to try and run the program don't appear to line up with how Eclipse works. The Run Configurations dialog doesn't have an Applications tab. It has a tree on the left of the various type of run configurations. One of them is named C/C++ Applications. Is this what you are referring to? There would be an entry under this tree node with the launch configuration you are trying to run. If you select that it should have a Main tab with a Project: entry and a C/C++ Application entry. The Project entry is meant to select the project that builds the program and the C/C++ Application is to pick the binary in that selected project.
Re: Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute [message #1802273 is a reply to message #1801808] Tue, 05 February 2019 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did not want to muddy the water , but I am using TCF "configuration" which opens totally undocumented form / window with many "optional" tabs. That is where the "Application " came from.
As I said - it ALL works perfect in Oxygen.

I am going to download the latest 2019 (!) today and try to move the app to its own workspace.
I am assuming when I import the app it "copies" all the tools, but I'll have to verify that too.
Re: Eclipse 2018-09 keeps building C++ project - no execute [message #1802340 is a reply to message #1802273] Wed, 06 February 2019 20:08 Go to previous message
Update
Copied entire Oxygen workspace to new 2019 release workspace.
When trying "Build project" using 2019 dedicated workspace received warning about "older release will no longer run in (this) workspace".
Project build , however , still had to be "Refresh" to be able to use TCF "Application" - > Search ->Program selection to select correct version.

The "Program Selection " is still presenting long deleted "Binaries" versions from TCF configuration tree selection. The whole "Program Selection " form / window has also some options , generally duplicating the "Binaries" selection.

It compiled / linked and run on first try.

There is a new option in configuring TCF - something about "prototype".
Selecting it does not give any response.
Did not look for "prototype" documentation.
Consider this issue closed.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 February 2019 20:18]

Previous Topic:Eclipse CDT: How to update "Project Properties --> C/C++ Build --> Environment" from
Next Topic:Cannot upload programming for esp32
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:58:31 GMT 2024