Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Make failing to build .a from .o file(make configuration error: *** No rule to make target 'GrW_Win32.o', needed by 'libGrW_Win32.a'.)
Make failing to build .a from .o file [message #1800517] Mon, 31 December 2018 21:42 Go to next message
Greg Janusz is currently offline Greg JanuszFriend
I struggled for quite a while trying to figure out how to include the static library built by a project in my workspace (GrW_Win32) into another project in my workspace (the main one which creates an .exe). It appears that the project properties were reworked significantly in the last few years and the documentation I found online just added to the confusion.

I eventually found "Project References" and checked the box for my library project. I'm not satisfied because there is no reference to a linker in the workspace or project properties and the Project References panel has no features. Have I failed to find the (right) places where I can configure the linker invocation? (I still haven't found a way to include a library that isn't in my workspace.)

Then I got this error trying to build the static library (bolding is mine). Where is the configuration option that I need to fix (and how)?

Build Log
-----------
16:10:24 **** Build of configuration Debug for project GrW_Win32 ****
make all
Building file: ../src/GrW_Win32.cpp
Invoking: Cygwin C++ Compiler
g++ -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"src/GrW_Win32.d" -MT"src/GrW_Win32.o" -o "src/GrW_Win32.o" "../src/GrW_Win32.cpp"
Finished building: ../src/GrW_Win32.cpp

make: *** No rule to make target 'GrW_Win32.o', needed by 'libGrW_Win32.a'. Stop.
"make all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

16:10:25 Build Failed. 1 errors, 0 warnings. (took 1s.533ms)
Re: Make failing to build .a from .o file [message #1800578 is a reply to message #1800517] Wed, 02 January 2019 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Are you sure that the object file is in the correct directory?

There are references to ../src/GrW_Win32.cpp and src/GrW_Win32.o.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Make failing to build .a from .o file [message #1800607 is a reply to message #1800578] Thu, 03 January 2019 12:32 Go to previous message
Greg Janusz is currently offline Greg JanuszFriend
That does look like a problem, thanks.
Previous Topic:Expression Tab Showing Error on Global Variable
Next Topic:New feature: Outline as class diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:37:27 GMT 2024