Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Setting up include search settings for large libraries
Setting up include search settings for large libraries [message #1799208] Sun, 02 December 2018 05:47 Go to next message
Phillip Mobley is currently offline Phillip MobleyFriend
I have an application where I am compiling against the libraries Qt (5.11) and Paraview (5.6). I am developing in C++ and I am also coding in Eclipse.

Yes, I am aware that Paraview is more of an application then a library. However, I will be using it as a library to intergrate Paraview in my application in order to visualize some data. I could use QT creator and that would take care of the QT library. However, I am not very familiar with QT creator as an IDE and my entire workflow has been based around eclipse. For this, I would like to utilize components that I am familiar with.

Now, as many of you know, the QT library is large, very large. So is Paraview. I could create a search path for each folder containing the header files I need in the C++ include settings. If I go in this direction, then my library search path will be long, very long. Also, there might be a situation where I need to change computers (for whatever reason), I would then need to edit the search paths for the new computer and that will take time.I had thought that I could only include the paths to the include files that I needed. And I have started to do that. However, when I compile my application, I noticed that the libraries would use include files that are located in a directory that Eclipse is not even searching in. At the end of the day, I would need to include all of the directories to which the header files are stored in.

I was wondering if there might be a better method to reference all of the files that my project needs? Both come with make files (I believe that Qt includes a QMake file?). Is there a simpler method to include all of the files instead of editing the C++ include path for eclipse? I did see an option for QMake in Eclipse, is there anything that I can do with that feature to compile to QT library with my application?

Thank you and any feedback is appreciated.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 December 2018 13:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Setting up include search settings for large libraries [message #1799362 is a reply to message #1799208] Wed, 05 December 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For now, I will be implementing the long library search path. I will appreciate any feedback on how to simplify this.
Re: Setting up include search settings for large libraries [message #1799455 is a reply to message #1799362] Fri, 07 December 2018 06:00 Go to previous message
So any thoughts on how I might be able to improve my post? Doing the long way is quite time consuming. I am hoping to get some feedback soon.
Previous Topic:What does <terminated> (exit value: -1) mean?
Next Topic:Linker cannot find static library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:22:18 GMT 2024