Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't view global variables
Can't view global variables [message #1799173] Sat, 01 December 2018 01:39
Alan Rouse is currently offline Alan RouseFriend
I have used Eclipse for many years to develop and debug projects running on ARM processors. Because my build of Eclipse has worked I have been reluctant to upgrade, even though there are a few shortcomings.

My existing build comprises:
Eclipse Mars
CodeSourcery arm-none-eabi-gcc and arm-none-eabi-gdb
Zylin Embedded CDT
openocd-0.7.0
Olimex openOCD JTAG debugger

Although everything works, breakpoints are not as flexible as I would like. I have now decided it is time to try to update it:

My new build comprises:
Eclipse 2018
arm-none-eabi-gcc and arm-none-eabi-gdb dated 2018
OpenOCD 0.10.0-10-20181020-0522
Olimex openOCD JTAG debugger

The Eclipse 2018 build is (GNU MCU Eclipse IDE for C/C++ build downloaded from https://github.com/gnu-mcu-eclipse/org.eclipse.epp.packages/releases/, which includes GNU MCU Eclipse Plug-ins and CDT. I have installed all the add-ins included.

arm-none-eabi is downloaded from https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

I imported a working version of my project and I can build it. However, there are two problems:

1. When I run OpenOCD I get the error Can't find interface/olimex-arm-usb-ocd.cfg. The OpenOCD.cfg file is identical to that used previously and contains only the lines
    source [find interface/olimex-arm-usb-ocd.cfg]
    source [find target/stm32f1x.cfg]
    init
    reset

If I instead revert back to openocd-0.7.0 it works. Any ideas why the error?

2. Using openocd-0.7.0 I can download the project and debug it. Breakpoints work significantly better than in my previous build of Eclipse. However, I can't view Global Variables. I have attached an extract of the screenshot when I right-click the Variables window. You will see that the only options given are Select All, Copy Variables, View Memory of Find. I expect to also see Add Global Variables. Can someone suggest how I can modify the build to correct this?

• Attachment: Eclipse.jpg
    (Size: 68.01KB, Downloaded 87 times)
Previous Topic:Eclipse GDB settings and usage questions
Next Topic:toolchain etc.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:17:11 GMT 2024