Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Projects fail to transfer to new computer(Got new computer, installed Eclipse Oxygen, copied good projects from old computer but failure resulted)
Projects fail to transfer to new computer [message #1798703] Fri, 23 November 2018 03:58 Go to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I got a new MacBook Pro and installed Eclipse Oxygen. I then copied projects in a workspace folder from the old computer to an aux. hard drive, opened the hard drive with the new computer, and copied the workspace to my new computer where the other workspaces were. All the old files came through with fat exclamation points on their titles, but a newly created project works in the same workspace.

What do I need to do to recover all my work?
  • Attachment: error.png
    (Size: 31.47KB, Downloaded 37 times)
Re: Projects fail to transfer to new computer [message #1798709 is a reply to message #1798703] Fri, 23 November 2018 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm never comfortable with copying a workspace because I don't know what's all in the workspace/.metadata folder. I don't know if it contains purely relative paths to things visible from the old location. It might also contain absolute paths, but those paths might not be visible if I copied it from another computer. Generally I would use File -> Import... -> Existing Projects into Workspace and use that to locate the workspace folder containing the projects; though generally my projects are in Git clones and are not physically nested in the workspace folder. Be sure to consider using "Copy projects into workspace" in this wizard.

Those specific problems look like problems with the JDT's classpath. I'd know more if I saw what's actually in your Problems view. From the context menu of the project you can use Properties... -> Java Build Path to investigate. Often what I do in the Package Explorer's view menu is go to Filters... and uncheck .* resources. Then I can see the .classfile of each project and can open it to see how it looks. I can also look at the .project files then. Low level stuff, but useful to look at when something goes wrong...
Re: Projects fail to transfer to new computer [message #1798714 is a reply to message #1798709] Fri, 23 November 2018 07:48 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I thought that using importation from another work space, on my external HD in this case, would leave all the information on the external HD. I'll try the method ups suggest.

I don't think I got a "problems" view. Usually I get the fat exclamation points when something goes wrong in processing by Eclipse, and shutting down my computer and restarting will, for some reason, clear the problem up. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me.

I had another look at one of them. Nothing showed up until I tried to run it despite all the red warnings and got:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Hanzi
There is no mention of "Hanzi" in the code I was trying to run, although there are other dot java files by that name in among other things I have been working on. I assume this error comes from one of those invisible files.
Actually, since I have to re-do everything to make it work with the spring layout, not being able to get the old projects/files transferred over isn't going to make much difference. On the other hand, the experience does not bode well for keeping the project up to date as versions of Java change and things will have to be updated somehow.
Previous Topic:Porting from C++ code BCM2837 to BCM2835
Next Topic:Display.syncExec() with set priorities?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Feb 17 01:02:59 GMT 2020