Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » cannot be resolved to a type!
cannot be resolved to a type! [message #1798429] Sun, 18 November 2018 14:17 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hey guys!

I hope I posted this topic under the right headline and if not I apologize. I am new when it comes to Eclipse and I have to do a lab in Java before I start studying this fall. But for some reason I constantly get the message "cannot be resolved to a type" when I try to create my type in the main project. I have googled constantly and tried every possible solution out there but nothing works. I have the Eclipse IDE for EE Developers because we are supposed to use that one and the JAVA-10 because I have Windows 10.
AkinatorXender Kik

I really hope you can help me!

Sincerely

[Updated on: Mon, 19 November 2018 20:07] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: cannot be resolved to a type! [message #1798435 is a reply to message #1798429] Mon, 19 November 2018 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
The message "X cannot be resolved to a type" can have many reasons (involving simple/qualified names, imports, project dependencies and more).
Without seeing your project it's impossible to guess which reason applies in your case.
For an experiment you could try to explain to us, why you believe JDT should be able to resolve the given type.
Re: cannot be resolved to a type! [message #1798507 is a reply to message #1798435] Tue, 20 November 2018 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay Arthanareeswaran is currently offline Jay ArthanareeswaranFriend
Since you said you were new to Eclipse, try these:

* Single out the type on which you are getting the error.
* What do you know about this type? Is this is a source type in your project that you or your team created? Or is this a binary type your project needs.
* If this is a source file, you should be able to locate the .java file within your workspace. Else, the corresponding class file should be found either in an exploded directory or inside any of the jar files in your project or workspace. If you can't find it, you should bring it into your workspace/project and eventually to the buildpath.
Re: cannot be resolved to a type! [message #1826467 is a reply to message #1798429] Sat, 25 April 2020 11:15 Go to previous message
Fort vin is currently offline Fort vinFriend
Make sure you have also properly set up your environment using gradlew setupDecompWorkspace
Previous Topic:Exporting Eclipse to jar (with javafx) not working
Next Topic:Where is the Java 14 Facet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:32:28 GMT 2024