Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » uninstall eclipse photon(I need to uninstall eclipse photon. There is no uninstaller. What must OI do?)
uninstall eclipse photon [message #1798118] Mon, 12 November 2018 21:39 Go to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I installed a higher version of Java than I ought to onto my new Mac. I installed Eclipse Photon. Too many things won't work and I can't get the correct virtual machine to show up because some reference somewhere won't let me got rid of the inappropriate virtual machine and replace it with the correct version,.'

I have started deleting, but there are so many little files that Eclipse creates that it will be a major pain to root them all out.

Re: uninstall eclipse photon [message #1798126 is a reply to message #1798118] Tue, 13 November 2018 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Where are the incorrect virtual machine references showing up? If /usr/libexec/java_home -X is showing "incorrect references" then it's likely that Eclipse and the Installer can/will also find them. Is that the case.

Generally there will be things in ~/.eclipse, ~/.p2, along with your various installation folders. Some other technologies might also create ~/.* folders. It's of course not such a great idea to simply delete these folders, unless you delete them all.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: uninstall eclipse photon [message #1798128 is a reply to message #1798126] Tue, 13 November 2018 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem was that the JVM showing up in Library/Java/... was 10.something or other. I am not sure why I picked that version of the VRE to download when I started setting up my. new computer. Bad mistake. I couldn't get the right thing to show up there, so nothing worked right. I did pretty systematically remove all the old Java stuff, and then I reloaded Java, installed Eclipse Oxygen, and all the annoying/brick-wall problems disappeared. Once again I can make JAR files. ;

Thanks for your help.
Re: uninstall eclipse photon [message #1798291 is a reply to message #1798118] Thu, 15 November 2018 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kelly Woods is currently offline Kelly WoodsFriend
To completely uninstall an Eclipse installation, you have to manually delete
1. all the shortcuts
2. the installation folder (e.g. ~/eclipse/photon/)
3. the p2 bundle pool (which is often shared with other eclipse installations)
Re: uninstall eclipse photon [message #1798767 is a reply to message #1798291] Fri, 23 November 2018 17:56 Go to previous message

Thanks. I thought I got everything, but I guess I should check all the things you have listed,
Previous Topic:Display.syncExec() with set priorities?
Next Topic:Tips on using SpringLayout?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:03:26 GMT 2024